Help me decide on lights...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpcardona

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I am researching lights for my current setup which consist of the following:

Camera: GoPro Hero 3 Black
Mount: SRP tray
Filter: SRP BlurFix
Lights:?

So I have two question:
1) What do you think of my current setup? Any improvements?

2) I need help deciding on lights. I have looked at a couple different setup and would like some input.
A. Two Sola Photo 500
B. One Sola Photo 1200​
As a side question: I see different people using the "Sola photo" lights, and other using "Sola Video" lights. Which is best?
C. Open to ideals

I have a buddy that showed me an Edge Morph 1000 light with the video head the other day. The light looked very uniform with no hotspots at all. I'd imagine that light and a GoPro on a goodman handle would be very nice.

I've been looking for lights for use with a hero3 as well. I tried using some DRIS 1000 but discovered the beam was just far too narrow. Some other DIY guys spent a considerable amount of time modifying them for gopro video use with good results. Although they had to void the warranty to do it. I've been kicking around the Edge Morph 1000 with video head(s) that chrpai mentioned but so far I've been unable to find an example of video actually shot using this light.

In any event, I'm looking as you are bpcardona. I've seen plenty of good looking gopro videos shot using those solas.. but they're REALLY expensive. I can't answer your question about "sola video vs sola photo".

Chrpai, any chance you have some videos from that dive with the morph?

I just sent my friend a message on facebook asking if he has anything to share.

The DRIS1000 and similar lights are vastly different from the video head on the Morph. "Primary" lights of that style are meant to have an intense hot spot for signalling with a decent spill for seeing around you. The light I saw from the video head was very smooth and uniform.

if it was me a sola 800 is great but i would go for either 2 x sola 800 /1200 lights
and if you fancied some thing different
1x sola night sea and filters you can get a yellow no.12 $26 from Amazon then you use the built in filter takes in back to white light=SOLA 500 and pair that with an sola 800 PURFECT
bt the night sea is soooo much fun!!!!

I went ahead and took the plunge. I bought the edge morph 1000 with two of the 72 degree video heads. $615 shipped from DRIS (less a credit I had from a return). I'll be sure to post some video once I have some if chrpai doesn't come up with anything first.

I have a buddy that showed me an Edge Morph 1000 light with the video head the other day. The light looked very uniform with no hotspots at all. I'd imagine that light and a GoPro on a goodman handle would be very nice.

I like the price point in this setup. However the down side would be bulk, and possible hot spots. I would love the see some footage if he has some. Thanks so much for the input.

I've been looking for lights for use with a hero3 as well. I tried using some DRIS 1000 but discovered the beam was just far too narrow. Some other DIY guys spent a considerable amount of time modifying them for gopro video use with good results. Although they had to void the warranty to do it. I've been kicking around the Edge Morph 1000 with video head(s) that chrpai mentioned but so far I've been unable to find an example of video actually shot using this light.

In any event, I'm looking as you are bpcardona. I've seen plenty of good looking gopro videos shot using those solas.. but they're REALLY expensive. I can't answer your question about "sola video vs sola photo".

Chrpai, any chance you have some videos from that dive with the morph?

Glad we are in this journey together. If you find any thing interesting, or helpful, please pass it along.

if it was me a sola 800 is great but i would go for either 2 x sola 800 /1200 lights
and if you fancied some thing different
1x sola night sea and filters you can get a yellow no.12 $26 from Amazon then you use the built in filter takes in back to white light=SOLA 500 and pair that with an sola 800 PURFECT
bt the night sea is soooo much fun!!!!

I like we're you are going with this. I like the ideal of having the nightsea. For the moment I need to stick to a budget. That budget will let me buy one 1200 or two 500's. doing you think it is better to have two light vs one? Or can a get away with one for awhile, then buy the nightsea?

I went ahead and took the plunge. I bought the edge morph 1000 with two of the 72 degree video heads. $615 shipped from DRIS (less a credit I had from a return). I'll be sure to post some video once I have some if chrpai doesn't come up with anything first.

That must be a good feeling, Products on the way. Please let me know how you like this setup. Also what pushed you in this direction? Any thing I should consider?

For the gopro you need two lights and on the other hand at least 800 lumens each
Until you don't have the money there is no point spending on anything
You can get the sola 800 dive that have spot and flood so you don't need to carry a torch to spott things ok caves or night dives
Two sola 800 will last a long time and most likely stay with you when you ditch the gopro for a better camera
Don't get the 500 lumens the output is too little for wide angle they would only work at night

I have two Nocturnal Lights M700i with my GoPro2, using them with their tray and flex arms. Great light, no hotspot I can see, they provide great coverage to the GP. Battery life is good. I bought directly from them, they offer great service and suggestions, and the entire package does not break the bank. Highly recommended.

FWIW:

You can afford to void a few DRIS warrantees for $600...

I've modified 5, so far, with no floods. The last three were glued shut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom