help me choose a location - sandals properties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did the Sandals Halcyon (there are two on St. Lucia, the Halcyon is the smaller resort) in 1998. There are only around 120 rooms on the property, so it is small and quite private. The beach isn't much, but the two pools are plenty for soaking up sun. One is a the "quiet" pool to float, swim to the bar, soak up the rays, sleep, read, or meet new friends. The second pool is the activity pool, loud music, games where they try to get everyone involved, and yet another swim-up bar.

The diving was nice, although I must tell you it was our first dives after certification and in warm water, so my judgment may be a bit clouded. Our first dive was at the marine preserve and I sucked my air so fast and still remember I must've gotten a stiff neck from whipping my head around to see all the lovely tropical fish.

We opted for the morning dives (the boat takes off around 8) and they do two before returning to the resort. There is also an afternoon dive, but we never did that one. The morning dives were seldom crowded -- I think we may have had 8-9 on the busier days. The dive crew, St. Rose is one name I remember vividly, was fun and very enthusiastic about sharing the diving experience.

I'd have to go back to my log book, but we had a wonderful time. We dove every morning except one, where we opted to do the island tour -- which was an enjoyable change -- watch out for that jungle juice as my husband forgot just about everything on the boat trip back :)).

There are, I believe 4 restaurants: one continental, one called The Pier, and another that required reservations and I believe was Italian, along with the snack bar (was run by Estelle and Pamela, and on your second visit, Estelle would call you by name, made you feel real special). Plus, you also have priviledges at the larger Sandals (I think it has 300+ rooms). We never even bothered as we so enjoyed where we were.

We'd go back again, so I guess that tells you something. It was so nice to have the adults-only, small-resort feel. If you want more specifics, contact me via email and I'll dig up my pictures and memories ...

Regards,
Margaret

I agree. I went to Halcyon to check it out, and it's also nice. There are now three Sandals properties on St. Lucia.

#1 Sandals St. Lucia Golf Resort
#2 Halcyon
#3 Sandals Grande St. Lucian (Just opened this fall)

PS Sandals is owned by Butch Stewart. He also owns Air Jamaica Airlines.
There is talk that he wants to build a Sandals on Bonaire.

We rented a house up the hill from Anse Chastanet. I dove with the Anse Chastanet dive operation. The diving was usually around the Pitons. A lot of rubble fields and some current. A couple of the dive sites were nice drift dives. A lot of urchins and crustaceans. Lobsters and crabs were abundant. We saw a Portugese Man of War on the way back to the resort. The dive boat picked it up and destroyed it. They put it in a five gallon bucket and then found some fish that ate it. Apparently immune to the stings. We also did a wreck dive further up north. St. Lucia was very tropical. My wife was not wild about the big bugs and rats (We saw the bugs and heard the rats). The island is very poor. The people are friendly. The diving is a 5 or 6 on a scale of 1-10. If you go check out a night dive. Good luck!

Hi hcs3

I stayed at the Royal Bahamian Resort & Spa in Nassau. The other property you might be thinking about is probably Breezes. Which is a SuperClubs & not conected with Sandals or Beaches. But in most peoples minds these 3 are interchangeable. Sandals does not allow children.

There is no Sandals, that I know of, on Turks & Caicos. There is a Beaches & children are very welcome. When I'm on vacation, without my own kids, I'm not really looking to hang with other peoples kids. So I try & go where kids are not allowed. On the flipside though, I take my kids to kid friendly places, that truly cater to them. I am amazed when the childless couples ***** about too many kids there.

As for the diving...it was truly the worst diving experiance I've ever had. I've told this story in another thread, so I'll try & keep it brief. First few days, all water sports cancelled due to bad weather. We were there to get OW cert. Took us out w/ exp. divers but we had our own instructor & didn't hold up the cert. divers. Seas way too rough & as soon as the boat stopped :puke: Hit the water :puke: even :puke: through the reg. Only when down about 50 ft. was I ok. But I did manage to get certified. Now, with a wee bit more experiance, I can look back & say the dive sites were not all that great. I only dove 6 in Nassau.
Cessna Wall 55 ft.
James Bond Wrecks 55 ft.
Carib Breeze 65 ft.
Bahama Mama 60-65 ft. (saw the sharks there)
Miranda 47 ft.
Fish Hotel 37 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom