HELP! Kind of an Oly/Picasa/PS question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So here is my latest problem. I shoot in TIFF as it is the only setting on my Oly 5060 that I can change the overall size of the pics and still maintain high rez. When I download with Picasa, I can make the pics look good but I have not figured out how to resize them. SO, I end up saving them again then resizing in office pics. I cant change the format in office so I have to use Picasa. I cant just upload from Picasa to email or to upload say, here. I have to move to photo bucket then move again....
I know Im being stupid here but can someone tell me an easer way to shoot and save high rez pics and make them small enough to post and email without having to play with them three times?:shakehead

OK, why can't you shoot RAW?

From picasa help:
How do I resize my photos?

In order to reduce the size (in pixels) of photos you wish to send via email, please do the following:

1. Open Picasa.
2. Click "Tools" > "Options" > "Email."
3. Under "Output Options," set the slide bar under "When sending more than one photo, resize to:" to the desired pixel size.
4. Set the "When sending single pictures, resize to:" option to 'XXX pixels, as above" (XXX will be the number of pixels selected with the slide bar in the previous step).
5. Click "OK."

From Picasa help #2
How do I resize my photos?

Picasa can resize photos in two ways: when you export photos or when you email photos.

Resizing options are available on the "Export" dialog. Select the image you'd like to resize, and choose the Export button on the lower right corner of the Picasa screen. Under 'Image Size Options', select the 'Resize to' field and choose your desired pixel value.

Email resizing options can be modified by going to Tools > Options > E-mail. Under Output Options you can modify the pixel value.

FWIW 700 pixels longest side and 100kbs or under works very well for the web.

RAW has only one size and it takes several seconds to cycle through before I can shoot again. Plus it takes up buttloads of space, I have plenty but it is so slow...
PS thanks for the tips on resizing. Will it change it to JPG?

I get almost as much usable input from TIFF and can size the pics down to a reasonable size. Big enough for 18X24 full rez prints but small enouogh the process intime to get a second shot.
How come we cant resize in all formats?

Wildcard:
So here is my latest problem. I shoot in TIFF as it is the only setting on my Oly 5060 that I can change the overall size of the pics and still maintain high rez. When I download with Picasa, I can make the pics look good but I have not figured out how to resize them. SO, I end up saving them again then resizing in office pics. I cant change the format in office so I have to use Picasa. I cant just upload from Picasa to email or to upload say, here. I have to move to photo bucket then move again....
I know Im being stupid here but can someone tell me an easer way to shoot and save high rez pics and make them small enough to post and email without having to play with them three times?:shakehead
I use Picasa to browse JPEG's mainly.
Have never tried resizing pics really in Picasa.

However it does have an option where you can email pics using your Gmail account and it'll be automatically resized to the dimension that you want.

But frankly the easiest way I can think of, is downloading this image resizer plugin from Microsoft.
Now whenever you right click on a pic you can resize it in a variety of sizes

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

EDIT - This is the direct link to the file http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe
It's designed to be used with Microsoft Windows XP

Failing that, there's always good old Photoshop :wink:

Thanks! Thats what i need.

Back
Top Bottom