Help identifying this abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seand03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got 2 of these and I know they are older, but are they still worth servicing?

Does anyone know the age of these, if they are still decent regs, and value?

I have a blizzard now and am trying to decide if I should use this instead.

That Abyss looks like a MR-22 first stage, with about an 8 - 10 year old second stage.

It is worth servicing and using, a good regulator for sure.

The Abyss a very good regulator and a better performer than the Sherwood regulators even the older models of the Abyss. If it were me, I'd use the Abyss (after overhauling it) over the Sherwood.

It's from around 2003, its a fantastic regulator! I have one and still dive it today. In my opinion out performs the Blizzard hands down.

Parts are still readily available. In fact the parts from the current regs are direct replacements and you can upgrade to the latest hp seat system. I keep one of these available as a loaner when friends come to visit.

sounds good, I think ill use them for independent doubles as I have 2. compared to other regs how is the price of servicing (parts) for them?

That Abyss looks like a MR-22 first stage, with about an 8 - 10 year old second stage.

It is worth servicing and using, a good regulator for sure.

We still have TWO of these MR-22's in our gear locker. Up until a few years ago, they were our primaries. They are great regs & you can still get servicing & parts for them.

FWIW, my original reg was a Blizzard. It is a workhorse that is great in all water temps and is basically environmentally sealed by virtue of its drybleed system. I also liked the fact that the fins in the 2nd stage accumulated moisture & gave it back to you every time you inhaled.

Bonne chance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom