Help, I think I killed my watch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
I was diving last weekend with my Ironman "good to 50M" watch (which doubles as my heartrate monitor when training). I went down to 40' hit the stopwatch and it goes blank. OK, no problem I think...perhaps it's cold or something. Well...it's still not back.

Have I just ruined my watch? Will Timex honor the warranty (less than 4 months old)?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

;-0

Try taking it back to the store where you bought it. I've return three watches back to KMart that have failed for reason or another after dives and have left with new ones.

Best $15 I've ever spent. :)

Marc :jester:

Are you sure that your watch is "waterproof to 40M?

My Casio says "Water resistant 20Bar" and that is why I do not dive with it. I have snorkeled with it, but I won't dive with it.

As long as the watch says it is water-proof. I would take it back, and get a watch the is water-proof to 200m. We have had students by the 50m watch, and they do crap out when diving. I've never had a problem with my 200m watch, nor have I seen one.

Check your TIMEX instruction manual. You will probably find a written warning like this:

WARNING: TO MAINTAIN WATER-RESISTANCE, DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS
UNDER WATER. ;-0

Another reason why it probably also states that it is not a "dive" watch.

Sorry !:(

waterproof to 50 meters (150 plus feet) BUT don't push the buttons???

Takes a lickn' but keeps me *****n' that's the kind!

Has anyone dried out a swamped watch? Is there any hope?

If possible, take it back to the place you bought it and see if they can repair it.

If you're going to get a dive watch, Big-t-2538 offered some good advice. :wink: Go for a watch rated to 200M.

For your reference, here is a web-site which has some info on watch water-resistance ratings and what the webmaster thinks they REALLY mean. It also has a bit of info. of what certain watch industry standards have to be met in order for a watch to be labelled a "dive" watch.

http://www.canit.se/~griffon/watches/text/water_resistance.html

I hope this is of some assistance and wish you luck with your watch.

Is this a new watch? Or is it old enough that you have had the battery changed?

If it's a new watch, then bring it back to the store or ship it to Timex. My wife's Pulse watch broke after a year and she sent it to Timex. They sent her a new watch in a few weeks.

But if you had the battery replaced at some time, then odds are the person didn't seal up the watch. That's the trick with waterproof watches -- it's tough to change the battery and still keep the water seal intact.

I have a Timex Reefgear watch. It has 1 button on the front and a rotating bezel to change the mode. I've had it up to 120' underwater and I frequetly push the buttons or rotate the bezel. I have never experienced any trouble so far...

Thx...Doug

My ironman died while swimming a few years ago. I sent it back to Timex and they sent me a brand new one. Try the store first because you don't have to bother with packaging.

Back
Top Bottom