Help! I immersed my reg w/o the valve cap on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had this happen as well. I'm not saying who did it, but it wasn't me. I opened the regulator, inspected it, and dried it out, basically a service without replacing parts like Rick said. But I would get it serviced. I agree with DA.

And have them change the filter in the first stage at the bare minimum

cbborromeo:
regardless of what type of reg you have (unless it's envoronmentally sealed new ones), you should take it in for service. It shoudn't require more than an inspection and cleaning, but they will dry it out and make an internal inspection to make sure everything is working properly. Considering it's your regulator, you shouldn't take a chance. good luck.

What does being evironmentally sealed have to do with getting water inside the reg??

Or run some air through it and if you have a mind to, buy the oxyhacker regulator book so you can disassemble it yourself.:D

deepstops:
What does being evironmentally sealed have to do with getting water inside the reg??
Probably thinking of the new Legend which has a spring-loaded seal on the first stage that prevents water intrusion in cases like this.
Rick

Oceanic also has their dvt version. Regardless I'd take it in. We just did a reg for a guy who put his in the washing machine without the dust cap on. Yes I said washing machine! Did not turn it on but filled it and let the reg soak. SPG was full as were all hoses. He went for a replacement on the SPG but everything else had to be disassembled, dried, lubed and put back together. He was due for annual anyway but the water did not help anything and doubled his bill plus.

Are dust caps really water tight? I will soak the second stages in the tub while being pressurized. For the first stage, I will either hose it off outside while attached to the tank or put the tank into a bucket and pour water over the first stage. It is a PITA, but I was told not to trust the dust cap completely.

ams511:
Are dust caps really water tight? I will soak the second stages in the tub while being pressurized. For the first stage, I will either hose it off outside while attached to the tank or put the tank into a bucket and pour water over the first stage. It is a PITA, but I was told not to trust the dust cap completely.

Hosing it off or pouring water over it is not enough to clean your reg. The are threaded areas (like the yoke nut) and other nooks and cranies (depending on design) that will harbor SW and other contaminants. It will take a long soak to draw those out. And don't forget the SPG. That swivel connection is especially bad about harboring SW.

ams511:
Are dust caps really water tight?
Most of 'em are pretty good - I prefer the hard plastic with o-ring type, which are definitely good unless they get cracked - I mention the "cracked" because my experience is that the typical life span on one before it does crack is about a decade, so they ought to be replaced from time to time. I also like the ones with the o-ring because I can use that o-ring in a pinch - on most of my K valves (not all, but most).
Rick

I miss that old ScubaPro "ball" is it still available?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom