HELP! I feel like the Michelin Man!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, long story. I’ve just gotten back into diving after what I think is a 15-16 year hiatus. Because of the long time since diving, all my gear from back then is long gone and I’ve resupplied myself with new (and improved) gear. Before I got my new wetsuit, I rented a 5mil suit and dove in the local lake for a couple of refresher dives and had little problem with either of the two dives. I was wearing 14 lbs of weight.

As part of the new gear acquision, I got a 7mil semi-dry wetsuit which is two pieces, a 7mil jump suit and a 7mil hooded/sleevless jacket, basically the equivalent of a 7mil farmer john setup with an attached hood.

So, with my new wetsuit in hand, I boarded a dive boat in Long Beach, Ca for a trip over to Catalina to put in some dives. Having not totally lost my mind, I asked to have a person babysit me on at least the first dive in order to get my weighting down and give me some help if needed.

We got to Catalina, the water was beautiful, the water temp was a steady 59 and there was no current. We thought to begin with about 26 lbs of weight since I’m a bit overweight and am fairly buoyant even without a wetsuit and we were using a steel 85 tank. That was when problems occurred. The weight was totally inadequate. We went up to 28, then 30, then 32. Because the boat was supplying the weights, I didn’t bring a weight belt, but could have used one. My bc only had pockets that would hold 20 lbs and no trim pockets, so we were left sticking weights wherever we could, including putting a couple of ankle weights around the tank valve and one weight strapped on the tank itself. Non the less, I finished the dive in fairly good order but felt a bit negative. However, the boat crew felt that I was not negative and in fact thought I could have used a pound or two more. I might add that although weighting was a problem, I was more than comfortably warm.

On the second dive, we upped the weight by 2 lbs and then I was definitely negative. I felt alternately like a balloon or a rock. The dive was a total disaster. Fortunately, I ended the dive with only a slight sinus pain and nothing more serious, but I felt a bit nervous about completing the third dive and skipped it.

I told you this so I could ask a question. I’m reassessing my wetsuit situation. Although I was definitely a bit negative on the second dive, I really don’t’ want to dive with 32 lbs of weight even if perfectly weighted. So, finally, here’s my question.

I’ve heard that the lavacore full-body suit is equivalent to about a 2/3 mil suit. So, what if I were to wear a 3mil wetsuit over a lavacore suit? Would it be the same as a 6mil suit? Certainly my weighting would be drastically less of a problem. But what about warmth? Any clues?

If that doesn’t work, I’m assuming my only other alternative is a dry suit, but people have told me that you actually need more weight with a dry suit due to the trapped air in the suit.

Thanks for your help in advance!

I had the very same experience when I started diving my 7mil farmer John in the quarry. I felt like Shamu breaching the surface. I was lucky I didn't get hurt, I had some ear discomfort after but not bad. I learned a couple things. Either you have your buoyancy control down pat, or you don't. Having 14mil on the body makes for a very interesting experience when controlling your depth. This situation lead directly to my purchasing a dry suit. I still have my 7mil for a "just in case situation", but there is no way I'll voluntarily dive the 7mil again.

Regarding the weighting of the DS versus WS. I use the exact same weight with my current undergarment and believe it will be less with my new undergarment I haven't dove yet. HTH

New wet suites tend to be extremely buoyant until the are crushed at depth a few times. So you may just need to give it time.

Also, the idea of a farmer john + jacket is 2X the thickness on the core. Sounds great but also increases your buoyancy a lot for XL/XXL types. In hind sight, a one piece jumpsuit seals tighter and gives you almost the same warmth, with less weight needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom