HELP!!!-having trouble with my 4 YO Canon S95--need advise ASAP......Have a bucket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
list trip coming up in about 2 months to Rangiroa & want this problem cleared up ASAP----problem:(started about June? of last summer: when I go to change a battery in camera, about 50% of the time it doesn't come on after I hit the 'ON' button & I get "check the battery pack" message on back screen........I thought I had problem solved by putting 2(sometimes 3) little strips of cut paper on top of the battery right before closing it--ie to tighten 'everything up' in the battery compartment...Worked perfect for my last 2 diving trips(the flower Gardens in August of '14 AND our Cayman Brac trip in Oct of 2014).....Put the camera up in November of '14 after last trip(I only use camera for UW stills & video) & got it down last week -------but since then, again, about now 50% of the time I get that "check the battery pack" message--WITH & WITHOUT the 2 or 3 little strips of cut paper---ie putting the cut paper strips does NOT help out problem anymore...

My question(dilemma) is what can I(----ME----) do to correct/solve this problem????-----or--------do I have major trouble that 'someone else' needs to look @????????........Thanks SO MUCH in advance on any solution(s) to this problem......Joe .....diver 85

EDIT:......am using one of 3 (4 YO)batteries--they ALL leave me with the same problem----ie message...One is the 'stock' Canon battery---one is that Japanese battery(not @ home & don't have the name off the top of my head---remember it's a more 'powerful'--larger -- battery though)& the the 3rd is a generic one when I ordered the camera ~ 4 YO(the Japanese one is 'only about 3.5 YO)...again, thanks for ANY advice to correct problem!!.......

EDIT 2:.....have it set up in a FIX housing(with twin strobes---WA & macro lens already for it)---not interested in(right now) having to get a new(different) & purchase new housing etc etc etc--ie really like my current setup(camera) & would like to at most replace camera only..........tia.....

Last edited:
Not that this is helpful but I'm in quite deep with a S100 setup - recsea housing, I bought a second S100 just as a back up. Cost of buying a second hand back up is nothing compared to the housing!

Maybe try getting a new battery, if that doesn't help then you know it's a camera problem.

Try a new battery first I have my oem batteries that are used frequently since 2012 with no issues but they will only last so many charges, also here in Asia I have known quite a few divers who have had problems with s95/s100 because of the humidity and also salt in the air when on the boat. The issues were humid air messing with the circuits and on the boat even though the camera was inside there is still some salt in the air and can lead to internal issues as well.

I would recommend trying to find another S95 if yours is shot, you can still sell the housing and lesnes for a decent price but figure a new camera + new housing + new lenses that can add up if your not looking to spend the cash right now, also the same for the wet lenses as they may be camera specific.

Some of my batteries that got a bit old have done similar wonky things, like last fine until 50% then die. At that point, I replace them which usually resolves the issue. I would suggest that the post above is spot on - a 2nd S95 could be had cheap, and would be a good investment since changing to a new camera would require a new housing too.

Thanks all-------will order new battery(s) today & hope that solves the problem..........Sure hope so, anyway...:)

BUT----if anyone has any other ideas/suggestions, please fire away..........tia

Last edited:
You may have noticed that the battery terminals are recessed--might need to "raise" or adjust the contacts in the cam accordingly. Cleaning contacts with a pencil eraser or alcohol on a Qtip might help too. A tiny amount of alcohol goes a long ways, especially inside a camera. I would do these things before buying anything. I agree that the batts do get a little wierd as they age--my original batts are about 4 years old and I recently bought 2 Halcyon brand batterys for my S95 to replace them as the oldies have a shorter life now.

You may have noticed that the battery terminals are recessed--might need to "raise" or adjust the contacts in the cam accordingly. Cleaning contacts with a pencil eraser or alcohol on a Qtip might help too. A tiny amount of alcohol goes a long ways, especially inside a camera. I would do these things before buying anything. I agree that the batts do get a little wierd as they age--my original batts are about 4 years old and I recently bought 2 Halcyon brand batterys for my S95 to replace them as the oldies have a shorter life now.

Jim---thanks for the come back & info...........couple questions......

(1) How exactly would I " "raise" or adjust the contacts in the cam accordingly"...??

(2) re: "Cleaning contacts with a pencil eraser or alcohol on a Qtip ", which contacts are you talking about---camera, batteries, ---or both???

(3) I have taken a pic of my Canon battery---notice on the contacts the "spots" on each of the 3 (gold)terminals....My question is are they supposed to look like that -----OR---are they 'dirty'???....Could you look @ your new Halcyon batteries you just got in & tell me if they look like this.......(it would/could make sense that the 3 'foot' contacts in the camera could/would be causing these 'areas of poor contact' on the batteries).........BTW, I checked ALL 3 of my batteries & they all look very similar--ie the 3 gold areas are all 'scratched' like in the photo of the 1(Canon) battery.......Thanks so much in advance............Joe

16812793282_91fa273202_z.jpg
[/URL]S 95 camera battery contacts by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

1 Probably with a dental pic or somesuch--mine is still in the rinse and I have't looked at it this evening. But, I expect the contacts on the cam to be "raised" since the contacts are recessed on the batt pack.

2 Both, and 3 yes that is dirt/corrosion on the batt terminals. Clean them.

My old battery packs have a little dirt/whateveron on the terminals, 1 never used Halcyon shows a dim dark line on the terminals in the saame orientation as all of our other batts. With my 4 year old packs, the life just got a little short for the way shallow 2 hour + dives we do at Blue Heron Bridge near West Palm............

Use caution with the alcohol--maybe orient the batts so no liquid can enter them, etc.

Jim--------!!.....just cleaned the battery terminals on each battery & only once(on what I consider my 'worst' battery---ie a generic cheap one I ordered with the original camera to have as a 2nd battery)did I get 'check the battery pack' message out of ~ 18 battery removals(hadn't charged the generic battery in a while & after putting it in the charger for a few minutes it came on each time ).......BTW, the 'scratches' are still on all 3 battery terminals like in my picture---I think they are there to stay---but cleaning batteries SURE did help.......

After cleaning the 3 battery terminals I also cleaned the 3 (internal)camera terminals----did ALL cleaning with a little alcohol on a long Q-Tip---& let air dry(some by blowing on terminals)...........Again, thanks, should have 2 new batteries in by Wednesday---interested in seeing that their terminals are not 'scratched up looking' like all 3 of my present ones are.......I think over time, the internal camera terminals 'scratched up' my battery terminals, by pushing against them after loading batteries ---OR-- the electrical charge going off @ each camera firing 'messed up' the battery terminals???--is this a possibility???.............Thanks again.......

Back
Top Bottom