Help for thrashed fingers/cuticles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a day of diving, my cuticles are all water logged and icky. They're ok when they dry out and for a couple of days afterwards, but then after like 6 days, they peel. :11:

I use handlotion (not religiously) during the dive day - I do day dives on local boats - but that doesn't seem to help.

Any tips and tricks?
TIA, and Hi! (waves) I'm new here.
Taxgeek

I have some scar tissue on my cuticles that gets really bad after a few days in saltwater, but I’ve found if I keep them soaked in Vitamin E oil after they first dry it really helps.

Burt's Bees makes a cuticle cream (sort of a lemony waxy paste) that works pretty well. Smells good enough to eat too.

lansinoh - it's a refined lanolin. mainly used during breastfeeding, for sore nipples, but works great on cuticles & chapped lips & dry hands, etc. i don't know the retail prices since i get the little testers free, but you can get it at places like walmart or babies r us.

Wow, thanks for all the ideas. Time to go shopping! ;-)
Taxgeek

After I got a nasty paper cut across a cuticle (my, how they bleed!) a co-worker turned me on to Fruiticles, a fruit-scented lanolin based cuticle balm. Who knew?

I have to try some of this stuff too. I don't have too much trouble at the cuticles, but after a dive weekend, in 3-5 days, my guitar calluses start to peel pretty badly, and I'll get some peeling on the rest of my fingertips. I've had some success with some rice milk lotion a co-worker gave me, but I'm always up for new ideas.

I vote to just ignore it and let it go :) Unless its painful of course.

Saw this thread and couldn't wait to chime in about the Bert's Bees Cuticle Cream, and then I saw that Damselfish beat me too it. So I've gotta back her up. That stuff works wonders for me. It's pretty cheap, but can be difficult to find locally. The web is your best bet, or a random Borders Books and Music, if you've got one of those near you.

J.

Back
Top Bottom