Help for Dacor Omni

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilinFL

Reaction score
I just bought a used Dacor Omni and console with pressure gauge and compass from a coworker. Used it the first time Saturday and didn't realize you had to turn this on before entering the water. I tried to turn it on at about 15 ft below surface, it scrolled through the boot up sequence and then shut off. I left it alone and then during the surface interval before the 2nd dive I turned it on again. Everything seemed normal, but when I got back in the water, it turned off. I let it sit a couple of days and tonight tried to turn it on again and it wouldn't even power up. Thinking it might be batteries, I bought 2 new ones, replaced them, then turned on again. The entire display came up (all pixels illuminated) then it turned off and wouldn't come up again. I'm hoping someone has an idea because my buddy says everthing was working last time he used it. I leave for Australia in 9 days and don't have time to mess with this right now! Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil

Just had one of these guys come in a couple of days ago doing something very similar. The bad news is that after consulting with Dacor, they pronounced the unit dead (in their words, shorted out for unknown reasons.) The worse news is that they ceased production of the unit in 1996 and it was made by a contractor, so they have no ability (or will it seems) to repair the unit. The good news is that if you send your computer (or entire console) in to Dacor, for $175 they will send you a new Darwin computer (or entire Darwin console if you send your console in.)

Have to agree from the symptoms it sounds like it is dead.

Don't know about the omni, but it sounds like there's a chance it may be in a bad mode. Take the batteries out for an hour or so and let it think about what it's done. :)

I tried taking the batteries out overnight and then reinstalled them this morning and it still is dead.....won't do anything at all. One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries were at about 50% of the new voltage on the first set and then after the one powerup sequence, the brand new set was already down to 2.2 volts each (should be 3 volts). So I think it's definitely a shorted out condition, as stated by chrispete above, or it shouldn't be draining a brand new battery that quickly. Thanks to all who replied. I've emailed and called Dacor but still no calls back. I'm going to also try calling a local dive shop listed as an authorized retailer on Dacor's site.

Thanks again to all!

Phil

Back
Top Bottom