Help for a nose breather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I exhale through my nose with no problems. However, my mask has a one way valve under the nose piece. Have you looked into that type of mask?

OP -- I am one of those who breathes out my nose at least 50% of the time -- in no small part to get air into my hood (but that's another thing). My mask(s) don't leak and they don't fog. OTOH, they really do fit me (and yes, I use a true slap strap that very loosely holds the mask onto my face).

It may well be that the problem isn't that she exhales through her nose but that the mask doesn't really fit. It's my experience that too many people who have mask issues try on their mask by inhaling through the nose (and then keep inhaling) creating a constant suction. This often doesn't tell the right story. Instead, just pressing on the mask to create a little seal, hold one's breath and see what happens. Does the mask immediately fall off? Then it doesn't seal. If it stays without a constant inhalation, then it may well fit. YMMV

As Rhodesaz said, try one of these masks. I love mine.
Pacifica

I've found that I generally hear it when I'm exhaling through my nose accidentally. I feel the air trickling around my face because water also gets in my mask or my mask fogs up. I clear my mask a lot as a result. For me, pinching my nose a couple of breath cycles generally fixes the issue when it happens.

I agree with those who say to get a mask with a purge valve. I used one for years with no issues, though some people will rant about the valve being a potential failure point.

Spend some time snorkelling, but use swim goggles, rather than a dive mask. That exposes the nose into the water, whilst developing the response to breath with face submerged.

Thank you for all your thoughtful responses. Our biggest problem in upon entry and decent, especially giant stride. Her mask tends to fill up with water. When she does the mask test the mask stays on if she holds her breath but when she starts breathing it slowly looses suction and falls off.

She normally has minimal trouble once descended but i can notice a little stream of bubbles from her mask right above her eye lid.

She is going to practice and I am confident we will work through it.

When I have problems with the mask sealing, and pay any attention, it's generally due to me exhaling through my nose. So for a while I pay attention to that and try to remember to stop, then a little while later, it happens all over again.

Once in a while I still THINK I exhale occasionally through the nose. Not sure, but it seems I clear my mask more often on a dive once in a while. I like the advices given on practising this & that in water/snorkelling, etc. I would imagine you could also practise breathing this way and that without the water as well. Closing off the nose, breathing only from the mouth. Vice versa. Mix it up. I have found that normally I am a "both" breather, inhaling & exhaling by nose & mouth--sometimes separately, sometimes at the same time. Getting control of which place you want to breathe from is the answer. When diving think "my mouth is my only source of air". Get it so you think of the nose as non-existant. I once helped a student who couldn't fully clear her mask. She was a mouth breather, so when she tried to clear the mask, some air also came out of her mouth. Another example of practising what you want to do and getting those muscles used to it.

You might want to try a full face mask. They allow you to breathe through your nose, are extremely comfortable, and have a great field of view. I bought an OTS Guardian, and couldn't be more pleased with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom