help for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KayBee

Registered
Reaction score
hey everyone...I'm a newly certified diver and am making my first dive trip to tortola at the end of this month. i'm wondering what you would all recommend for a tropical dive this time of the year. i know everyone tolerates the cold differently...i don't usually get cold so I was originally thinking I would go with a 1 or .5 mm just for slight warmth and protection. Every dive shop I visit in the area tells me I should go no less than a 3mm. So finally I bought one today but I still feel like it's a little much. Any recommendations??
I'm also finding that most dive shops in the area usually only stock one particular brand of wetsuit and usually I haven't heard of it. I ended up buying a 3/2 Tilos today. Anyone heard of the brand?? I have a Bare catalog and was thinking of ordering the .5mm thermalskin full but i'm worried about size. Where does everyone usually get wetsuits from? I can't order from the Bare site and I'm not even sure if I can place an order by phone. Any good online retailers that make it really easy to make a return if it doesn't fit? Thanks for all the help.

Your dive shop is right you really probably do need a 3 ml suit. I have been on 3 liveaboards this year, in tropical waters, and I and everyone else on board used a 3 ml, or more. I usually am never cold in air either, but water sucks the warmth out of you, and at depth it is even colder. Also multiple dives make you colder and colder. On a weeks diving vacation by day 4 or 5 I am using my 5 ml hooded vest on top of my 3ml in 80 degree water.

Buy from a local dive shop you trust. Establish a relationship with them, and buy everything from them, so they can help you when something isn't right.

I agree. The dive shop is right. You're doing little actual work when you're diving and the water really sucks your heat away. Go with what they recommend.

then i have to ask....who are the <3mm suits made for??? i surf here on long island in 60 degree water with nothing but a pair of board shorts. But depth is a whole different world so i suppose i'll stick with the 3mm. Anyone dive with under 3mm? How is it? And has anyone heard of Tilos suits? Should I go for a more well known brand? Thanks again.

You're expending a *lot* more energy surfing than you are diving. I'm a *very* warm person, and I'll wear a 3mm all the way up to maybe 75-80 degrees. Above 80, I'd wear something less than 3mm.. unless it's cold on the surrface.

KB- I tend to lean the other way. When I'm diving warm water, the last thing I want is an encumbering wetsuit. My wife and I were in Tortola 2 years ago, the first week in December. We both wore shortys during the entire week of diving. I carry quite a bit more "insulation" than my wife, but she wasn't cold. This was actually the first time for anything more than a bathing suit and T shirt. I checked for ya, The latest water temp at the Wreck of the Rhone was 80F. I guess it just depends on your tolerance to the cold. I always laugh when I see a local dive guide wearing a full suit and the water is 85F. If you havn't booked your dives yet, Let me make 2 recomendations. We dove with Blue Water Divers at Nanny Cay during the week. (bluewaterdiversbvi.com) Muffy and Phil, the owners run a great shop. Boats weren't crowded and the DM's were great. The first day of the trip, BW was booked and we dove with "Aquaventure". They're at aquaventurebvi.com I think Phil runs a pretty clean shop also. We were initially booked with a dive shop at Prospect Reef. The day before we arrived, they had closed the doors, shut down, and left their boats sitting there. It looks as though another shop is running out of the facility now, but I don't know much about it. Take care.

Depends on your body type and how tolerant you are of cold. I don't think anyone can guess for you if .5 is fine or you need 3. Where are you from, it's not in your profile? If you're from a warmer climate to begin with, I think you're more likely to want the 3mm than if you're from a colder climate.

FWIW I've done 100's of dives in the Carribean in 78-85F and never worn more than a 1mm or lycra skin, including when doing 4-5 a day on a liveaboard. I've occasionally just dove in a tshirt, but like the thin fullsuit for protection. My husband does the same.

.5-1 mm is pretty stretchy and forgiving, so getting something that fits should be easier than with some thicker ones.

Remember, too, that a 3mm offers more protection against any scrapes or stings or whatever. Not that any of these things should happen but you never know!

Heatwise, it comes down to personal preference and physiology. ALso depends on your diving pattern - how many dives you will be doing, how close together they are. And you might change preferences the more experience you gain. I began diving with 3mm shortie in tropical waters but i have a full suit now.

Everyone is right each person handles the cold diifferntly. I have used a 3 mil farmer john on 65 degree water and been fine but I remember the skinny boys in the pool classes who turned blue and shivered. If you are prone to be cold take the 3 mil. I would also advise buying a hood, they are cheap. If you get cold put in on before the next dive. I think that you will be surprised at what a difference a hood will make.

When I am in warm water I dive in shorts and a T shirt. I also ride my Harley every month of the year in Wyo. While you might freeze in the water I will sweat like a pig on the boat.

ENJOY

I spend January-March diving on St. Croix which is a stones throw from Tortola. I never wear less than a 3mm at this time of year. However, I'm an uw photographer and spend 60+ mins doing almost nothing, so I need the insulation. I add core warmers and hoods when I start doing multiple and night dives.
I agree with everyone that it does depend on how you handle cold. One of the instructors at the local dive shop on STX wears nothing but shorts all year round, 4+ dives per day, but he's touring around the reef at light speed. Most of the local divers wear 3mil+ during "winter".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom