Help- First time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2JAX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I am going to Cozumel next week and taking my Canon SD 500 and DC-70 housing to try underwater photography for the first time. I'm a little nervous about the possibility of soaking my camera. I understand the importance of ensuring the seal is clean and free of any hairs or lint prior to closing the case, but I am a little confused about the grease. How much grease should be used and how often? Do I need to regrease the seal every time I open the housing? Any tips for a newbie would be appreciated.
Thanks, 2JAX

2JAX
You will get a wide range of opinions on this. Here's mine after 30 years of fiddling with greasing o-rings. Use enough grease so that the entire o-ring feels slimy as you run your fingers around it. More is better than less. I have heard opinions to the contrary but I have never seen any evidence that you can put too much grease on an o-ring. As to the frequency of regreasing, I regrease my housing o-ring once a day on a multi-day trip, but only because it makes me feel better, not because I think it is absolutely necessary.

The O-ring makes the seal, not the lubricant/grease... it is a Canon housing so your O'ring should be smooth and rubbery. Slide it through your closed fingers... does it slide easily or does it stick and bite? if it sticks and bites then dab some lube on your finger pads and pull the O-ring through it, all it needs to do is slide easily. You should only need to use the lube every couple of uses and before/after storage. But make sure it is clean

I carry a small toothbrush in my camera kit to brush off the sand, salt, and hair that will get on the O-ring.

Important: The plastic groove that the O-ring sits in must also be free of debris, or a clean properly lubed O-ring will not seal!!!!

Understanding the importance of ensuring the o-ring is greased is great, but don't forget about the importance of insuring your camera through a company like DEPP and others.

havnmonkey:
Important: The plastic groove that the O-ring sits in must also be free of debris, or a clean properly lubed O-ring will not seal!!!!

Something a lot of folks overlook.

My 2pc worth
If possible do not open the housing outside your hotel room.
Hair is your worst enemy, easy to miss, deadly to a seal, gives a whole new meaning to a bad hair day.
Load and seal the camera when you are calm and have time, if you feel hurried or are late, then just go and enjoy the dive, leave the camera until next time.
The shorter time the housing is open the less time there is for contamination to get onto the seal.
It is a good idea to have 2 batteries and 2 memory cards.
Then you can open the housing, swap out battery and memory card, and close the housing in one sitting.
Lets you recharge the battery and down load the photo's at your leasure. There are cheap card to USB converters around so small and easy to carry.

2Jax

1. I'm in the light greasing camp. My usual method is to remove the o-ring, inspect it for hair/sand/debris, put a small amount of grease on one thumb and forefinger, pull the o-ring gently between those two fingers to distribute the grease. It should have a minimum amount to move smoothly and appear lubed on all surfaces, but no more than that. I think you'll find the "lube the heck out of it" approach to be in the minority.

2. With a fresh battery and a large memory card, you can probably do at least three dives without ever opening the camera. Particularly if you minimize LCD use as much as possible. Load the camera/housing in your hotel room the night before when you're not in a hurry.

3. Don't forget a dessicant pack. It will keep your housing from fogging up on the inside. You can search on this website and find all kinds of alternative methods that may work most of the time, but a dessicant pack will work all of the time. Just make sure not to catch the corner of the pack in the housing seal. I buy the little 2 gram color changing packs from dessicant packs but they might have come with your housing or you can buy them from lots of photo places or dive photography shops. They're cheap (and even reuseable) for the benefit they provide.

3. Get insurance. I use DEPP. Although I am very careful to keep my camera from flooding, I don't worry about the financial loss because DEPP will take care of me. They already replaced one Oly housing that I dropped.

Have a good trip. I just made reservations for two weeks in Playa and Cozumel starting July 1.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom