Help ... everything is blurry (D100)!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwfletcher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am using a Nikon D100 and a Sea & Sea DX-100 housing. However, every picture that I take under water comes out blurry. If I shoot pictures from within the housing on land, they come out fine. Accordingly, I think that maybe the programmed mode on the D100 leaves the shutter open too long in a low light (underwater) environment thus causing the blur. Any thoughts or suggestions?

it might be helpful to see the images (unless there is some standard answer that i don't know about) is it blurry with directional movement? is every object in the image equally blurry? is every picture equally blurry?

If you are shooting in P mode - like any other camera you cannot. you must use A or M so you can control your shutter speed.

If could be:

You move in the water - more than you realize

Low Light - try a stobe

Autofocus is messed up my reflection on houseing lens - altho if it works on land......

Macro field of focus - again, but if it works on land...this prolly istn' it.

I'd guess that the shutter is staying open too long. Go manual mode, or get a strobe.

pwfletcher once bubbled...
I am using a Nikon D100 and a Sea & Sea DX-100 housing. However, every picture that I take under water comes out blurry. If I shoot pictures from within the housing on land, they come out fine. Accordingly, I think that maybe the programmed mode on the D100 leaves the shutter open too long in a low light (underwater) environment thus causing the blur. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Though I don't have a D-100, I have been shooting with a housed F-100 for some time. All things except the X1.5 crop should be the same.

First:
What lens are you using?
What port are you using?
Are you using a strobe?

If you are using a dome port, this may explain your problem. Most lenses require the use of a diopter to focus correctly underwater if used behind a dome port. On land the lens looks through the port, like it's not there, and focuses normally. Underwater the dome acts as a lens and creates a virtual image that the lens must focus on. The virtual image is approximately twice the distance as the diameter of the dome. If you are using a 6" dome port, that means the lens must be able to focus down to 12" to be able focus underwater, even if you are trying to shoot further away than 12". A diopter allows a lens to focus close enough to be used under a dome.

I do not use program mode underwater. I use aperture priority for Macro so I can control depth of field, and manual for WA.

Can you post some pic's so we can try to figure out your problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom