HELP: EOS 30D vs E-PM1???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bi11ybux

New
Reaction score
Hi! So I am in need of some help here... My fiance and I are relatively new to diving and she is really interested in bring her passion of photography underwater. With Christmas and her birthday around the corner, I was thinking that this would make for a perfect gift.

Right now she has the Canon 30D, but is looking to replace it with something a bit smaller and lighter, as I am sure you can understand. So I was thinking about trying to get her a used set up for that, thinking that would make a good first underwater camera since she is considering upgrading anyway.

Then I read some reviews on the Olympus E-PM1 being a great camera for the money; I have recently seen the camera and housing going together for as little as $499 ($1,300 for the entire package).

I know I am probably not providing enough detail necessary to make a proper recommendation, but again, this is her area of expertise. I was just wondering if anyone had a strong recommendation one way or the other..? Anything you can provide (except insults) would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Will

Well, I started out with a compact(Lumix), and recently changed to the PM1. So did my wife, and another buddy of mine. A Micro 4/3ds are less bulkier than a DSLR, and better than most compacts, and gives you a choice of lenses as you develop your photo interest.

It really comes down to how much money you want to spend, because there are almost no limits :)
I'm pleased with my PM1, even if there always going to be better/newer cameras to buy.(and I only have 6 dives with it). Have a look at Underwater Camera Articles: Best Underwater Compact Cameras for 2013 for the best cameras of 2012(or for 2012 which I think mentions the PM1/PL1).

But, most agrees that the PM1 bundle is impossible to beat........only 500,-
I have an Inon S2000 & a Gopro Hero3 on my rig, and also bought the Oly 60mm Macro for 399,-
I may buy the new M1 from Oly for topside use, but than again maybe not,cause the housing are always expensive....and escpecially for DSLR's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom