Help Deciding Best Freedive Fin Fit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Ok, I'm torn between two sizes of the Cressi Gara Pro LD fins. I have a pair of lyrca socks. The larger size of these fins fit somewhat loose. I can shake my foot from side to side and there is a decent amount of movement. I suppose I could fill the gap with neoprene socks and that would help, but using them while on scuba the socks would most certainly compress and maybe I run the risk of possibly losing a fin. They're not terribly loose, but with lyrca socks alone I'm confident I would lose a fin and have poor efficency and possible cramping.

The other smaller size fits pretty snug around my ankle and I feel like any energy would transfer directly to the fin. Of course I'm concerned that perhaps my feet would swell slightly from the work and could be an issue. There's also no way to use a neoprene sock, but my diving temps are going to be 70 degrees plus with the majority in the mid to high 80's.

I'm leaning toward the smaller size, but I'm not sure if my reasoning is right. Help me out please.

I find that with full-foot fins, I get sore spots on the contact points on my toes after lengthy swims. Many people use neoprene socks to help with that, but my foot pockets are too small for me to run that experiment without bigger fins.

Fin keepers are available from a variety of sources, though I haven't tried them.

fin keeper rubber - - Yahoo Search Results

Yeah, I've been doing at little more research (videos, should have started there rather than trying to get info from various threads) and where I think I made my mistake is I was judging the fit with my ankle at a 90 while sitting down. However if I extend my foot like I would when diving, the larger fin actually fits snug and eliminates some of the play. I think I'll go with the larger fin and get 3 mil socks. Hopefully that will work. Fin keepers are something I may consider too, but I was hoping to not need them.

I love my neoprene socks which keep tops of some toes from rubbing!

Another workaround worth considering is a pair of Mares full-foot fin insoles to cushion and bulk out the larger size:
MRSSRI.jpg

You can buy them here: http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrssri/mares-razor-fin-insole-pair

Foot pocket insoles can be a popular option in Japan for divers choosing to wear Gull closed-heel rubber fins manufactured there:
secret-w.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom