Help deciding Belize or Coz for Holiday Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just learned I have two weeks free and am planning a rather last minute vacation. I haven't been diving in a few years, other than PADI tune up a couple of months ago, so am researching like mad right now. I have been to Coz a few times and always loved it. Went ahead and booked flight and hotel with Hotel Cozumel to make sure I was not left high and dry at this late date, but am continuing to research options. I am considering Belize, and after reading some of the other threads on here, have been looking into Ambergris Caye. But, many say the diving is just not as good as Coz. Other shore activities interest me as well, especially since I will be traveling alone and wouldn't mind meeting others. My budget is mid-range. The deal I booked in Coz is pretty inexpensive, but am seeing mixed reviews about the Hotel. I have not chosen a dive outfit there yet....

Thoughts on...should I just stick with Coz, or pay quite a bit more for new experiences, New diving, possibly nicer accommodations with a more relaxing environment....

Number one priority is quality of diving, while feeling safe and comfortable walking around and exploring, followed by quality of accommodations, food, beach/pool and other amenities, as well as cool shore adventures.

Any advice is tremendously appreciated!

I might do both. A week on Coz then take the ferry over to the mainland and a bus down to Chetumal. There's a private ferry that runs between there, Ambergris or Cay Caulker daily. It also goes to Belize City. Belize Water Taxi | Belize Charter Boats - San Pedro Water Taxi

There's another one in the area doing basically the same run - I don't have a link.

From there you have access to South Belize for diving or much of the mainland for shore based acitivies like the Mayan Ruins, ziplines eco-tours etc. I believe the Belize bus system reliably covers most of the country also. Some are modern a/c buses, others you're riding with chickens. I have a friend who lives in Dangriga and uses it to get to Belize City on occasion - he's who told me that.

Maya Island or Tropic Air also both hub thru Belize Int'l to many local cities. Tropic also flies to Cancun if you want to keep your r/t flight home.

Tropic Air
Belize Flights - San Pedro, Ambergris caye | Belize City | Placencia | Caye Caulker - Maya Island Air

Hamanasi is pretty nice...Turtle Inn decadently nice - it's owned by Frances Ford Coppola.

Thank you, Diversteve.....That is a very interesting proposition....or multiple propositions. If I didn't have analysis paralysis before, I definitely feel it coming on now :confused:.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2015 at 12:07 PM ----------

I just wanted to say thank you to all who have posted both their question and answers on this sub forum. It has been a huge source of information for me over the past two days while constantly researching options for my trip. I am very happy to have just booked my accommodations and flight to Belize, and cancelled Coz until another time.

Hi Jeepers,

Not an indictment on Belize as a whole, but I wouldn't waste my time going back to Ambergis. The diving was all deep finger and grove reefs that quite frankly bored me after three days.

My next three dive trips were spent in Coz. The diving is better, the food is better and more importantly the beer is better.

I've visited Ambergris Caye each year for the past several years and find it very enjoyable. I can't compare it to Cozumel as I haven't been there yet. There's a variety of opinions out there regarding the diving. When I look at the totality of what Ambergris offers including the diving, dining options, access to mainland adventures, and choices of accommodations, I think it's one of the best locations for a variety of budgets.

If you want a better than Cozumel diving experience in Belize it's going to be at Turneffe Island Resort, diving Turneffe Atoll, not Ambergris Cay.

I just learned I have two weeks free and am planning a rather last minute vacation. I haven't been diving in a few years, other than PADI tune up a couple of months ago, so am researching like mad right now. I have been to Coz a few times and always loved it. Went ahead and booked flight and hotel with Hotel Cozumel to make sure I was not left high and dry at this late date, but am continuing to research options. I am considering Belize, and after reading some of the other threads on here, have been looking into Ambergris Caye. But, many say the diving is just not as good as Coz. Other shore activities interest me as well, especially since I will be traveling alone and wouldn't mind meeting others. My budget is mid-range. The deal I booked in Coz is pretty inexpensive, but am seeing mixed reviews about the Hotel. I have not chosen a dive outfit there yet....

Thoughts on...should I just stick with Coz, or pay quite a bit more for new experiences, New diving, possibly nicer accommodations with a more relaxing environment....

Number one priority is quality of diving, while feeling safe and comfortable walking around and exploring, followed by quality of accommodations, food, beach/pool and other amenities, as well as cool shore adventures.

Any advice is tremendously appreciated!

Which holiday? Christmas? Expect higher prices at any destination if it is.

I would recommend you try something a bit different. Think about Bonaire. It is totally different from Coz and Belize diving.

Thanks, driftwood....a little depressing to hear since I already booked the trip and really like good beer.

Yup, holiday is Christmas, and yup, I am paying out the watuza for a last-minute trip. I am thankful to actually have the time free to do this, as between work and parenting, it's now or I don't go. Bonaire is great, as I have been there. I am traveling by myself, which would make Bonaire a little difficult. I certainly considered it, but without a buddy, it really wouldn't work.

I would love to stay at Turneffe, but it is VERY expensive, especially for a single traveler. Unless someone knows some options that I could not find?? Can that area be reasonably dived while staying elsewhere, or are the logistic too complicated for that?

But about the beer....darn! No Pacifico?

Not to be contrary, but I've found Cozumel to be just a bit too much like Disneyland. Too many divers, too many tourist traps, too many cruise ships. But there is a really good Italian restaurant on a rooftop, Prima, if it's still there.

Twenty years ago, it was a paradise. Today, not so much. I'll take southern Belize any day.

jeepers: there is a cheaper alternative on the atolls. Stoo has written several trip reports about it. If it's not too late, you might want to PM him. Otoh, plenty of people go to AC and love it, so I'm sure you'll have a good time.

But about the beer....darn! No Pacifico?

Nothing even close. If you like Pacifico, next time you are in the Yucatan try Montejo.

Back
Top Bottom