Help clarify some Atomic regulator models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiznutaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a couple question regarding a reg set that I just picked up.

First is about Atomic Z1's vs Z2's. I've got a "Z1" that has the grey AFC plunger, which should be the high flow case (Z2)... So does that mean the Z1 is actually a Z2 or was there such a thing as a Z1 with a grey AFC plunger??

Secondly is on parts needed to turn a T2 into T2X. Is it just the piston and swivel retainer that need to be swapped to the monel parts or is there any other parts that are needed to make the conversion?

Thanks!

I never pay any attention to the purge covers as they are all interchangeable. That said, if the AFC plunger is gray then the case should be a high flow case. I usually look at the case itself and AFC chamber as there is subtle design difference. Post up a picture of the top of the case.

To make a T2 into a T2X three monel parts are installed, monel piston, monel HP seat retainer, and a monel swivel retainer. The T2x is also sealed. That was so the T2x could be use for both air and nitrox. Otherwise the T2 could be used for air or nitrox but not both. However, in practical terms I install a monel piston and seal the reg.

I never pay any attention to the purge covers as they are all interchangeable. That said, if the AFC plunger is gray then the case should be a high flow case. I usually look at the case itself and AFC chamber as there is subtle design difference. Post up a picture of the top of the case.

To make a T2 into a T2X three monel parts are installed, monel piston, monel HP seat retainer, and a monel swivel retainer. The T2x is also sealed. That was so the T2x could be use for both air and nitrox. Otherwise the T2 could be used for air or nitrox but not both. However, in practical terms I install a monel piston and seal the reg.

So on the T2X upgrade, are you saying you normally skip the monel hp seat/swivel retainer and just replace the piston?? Additionally, I don't see a monel HP seat retainer, the M1 uses the same part number as the B2's from what I see. So the T2X swaps the titanium to brass on that part?

Here's the Z1/Z2 in question. Looking at it next to my B2's and T2, I don't see any difference in the cases, but maybe they're so slight I'm missing it....

274470324_247726230893457_1185901591489101793_n.jpg
274318195_727533455287003_2936568547576619547_n.jpg
274858577_531859191520940_7048875315641995466_n.jpg

Yours is the high flow case. Two pictures for you. Look carefully at the spline of where the AFC comes into the main body of the case. Notice that on the high flow it a concave profile relative to the AFC. Whereas on the original is convex.

So on the T2X upgrade, are you saying you normally skip the monel hp seat/swivel retainer and just replace the piston?? Additionally, I don't see a monel HP seat retainer, the M1 uses the same part number as the B2's from what I see. So the T2X swaps the titanium to brass on that part?

Correct, I use a model piston and seal the reg. T2x use a monel HP seat retainer not brass.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.57.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.57.01 PM.png
    611.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9475.jpg
    IMG_9475.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 62
Yours is the high flow case. Two pictures for you. Look carefully at the spline of where the AFC comes into the main body of the case. Notice that on the high flow it a concave profile relative to the AFC. Whereas on the original is convex.

Correct, I use a model piston and seal the reg. T2x use a monel HP seat retainer not brass.

Awesome, I appreciate the info! Learned something new!

Do you happen to know a part # for the monel hp seat retainer?

I do not but if you want one contact this member (he and I have traded parts):

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom