help choosing wing (single tank)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just ordered my backplate (Dive Rite) and am now looking for a wing. What do you guys recommend for a good single tank wing. Right now I'm mostly diving Al 80's. Oxycheq 18, 30, or 45....Halcyon Pioneer 27, 36, or 45...Dive Rite Travel or Venture.
I think I like the location of the dump valves better on the Oxycheq and Halcyon wings. Any thoughts appreciated.

jason

Probably either the Oxy 30 SS or the Pioneer 36. Or the Eclipse 30, if you like. Personally I would go with the Oxy wing.

for florida i like the pioneer 27

and don't forget that Halcyon also has the new eclipse wings as well.

Nevermind. I thought this thread was about choosing the right wine. Carry on. :sofa:

You may want to do some research on the oxycheq 30 and 45. I remember reading that they are the exact same profile until fully inflated. The 45 has a inner expandable section giving more lift on the surface but has the same profile as the 30 under the surface so you have nothing to lose by going to the 45 as far as added drag.

I personally use a halcyon eclipse 40 wing and previously had a pioneer 36lb wing. I prefer the larger of the the two wings(27vs36 or 30vs40) as it allows me to get my head a little higher out of the water on those choppy days.

Also keep in mind that if you ever need to don or doff your gear in the water you need a wing with enough lift to float your rig on the surface with out you in it which is another reason i use the slighlty larger wing.

I dive the Oxycheq 45 and like it alot. I don't know about the other ones but can definately recommend Oxycheq.

If you go with the Oxycheq then upgrade to the "Signature". I love mine. Many friends have the Halcyon which they love. You won't go wrong either way.

I dive the Oxycheq singles wing. Works really well. Supports a single tank all the way around and does not "taco" the tank, which is important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom