Help Choosing First Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herbdb

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been researching cameras and reading forum posts for about a week. I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to these based on features and price. I am interested in any feedback or opinions (even alternate choices) forum users might have.

Option 1 Sea & Sea DX-1200 HD with Housing

Option 2 Olympus Stylus 8000 with Ikelite housing

Option 2A Olympus Stylus 8000 with Olympus PT-45 housing.

I will never be a super-serious photographer, but I can see myself adding a single strobe in the future. Close up performance is important to me, I really enjoy looking at the small details underwater.

Comments Please.

If you don't ever plan on being super-serious, I'd suggest the Sealife DC1000. It is totally mindless to use, which is great for people (I am one!) who don't want to learn all of the in's and out's of underwater photo and vid, and you can add up to two strobes and also a wide angle lense-if and when you choose. Right now, all I have is the camera and housing, no strobes or wide angle yet. I love this camera, and for my level of photo skill, it takes AWESOME photo and vid topside and underwater. I know other cameras can take better pictures, but I don't feel like learning how. I like the KISS approach the Sealife offers!

Love Olympus cameras and have been pleased with both the C-5050 and the FE-230 / 280's I've owned. That said, you get what you pay for in housings. For the price, the Olympus housings are great. I think the Ikelite are a tad better. Slightly easier to operate controls and slightly better depth rating. That said, they are more expensive (about $50 in this case but generally higher) and also slightly bulkier / heavier (though not so much in this specific case). Heavier underwater isn't an issue. Carrying it on the plane and around topside is.

The key thing though to look for with both the Olympus factory housings and the Ikelite housings is a threaded lens for being able to add wide angle or macro lenses to the housing. Both of the ones above offer this feature (most do but check to be sure).

One feature camera wise you might look at is the quality or feature for video. In some situations where the subject(s) are fast moving or quickly moving, focusing and shutter lag on the small point and shoot cameras just makes it impossible to get decent pictures. Video to the rescue!

For example I was down in Mexico at Bird Island off of Puerto Penasco (rocky point) which is known for seals / sea lions. If you thought taking pictures of swimming fish was hard, darting, diving and zipping seals / sea lions are impossible. So I shot video to at least get something.

You do get a continuous burst mode with the Stylus 8000 which gives you 11 pics at 3MP. But video is limited to 640 x 480 which produces a 4 x 3 inch printed photo.

Personally I like the Sony W290 and Ikelite housing. The Sony will do HD video at 720p which is 1280 x 720 :) which will give you 8.5 x 5 inch prints from still using the video. Then again the Sony is a ruggedized toughened camera like the Stylus 8000 is.

Thanks for the input. I have ordered the Olympus 8000 with Ikelite housing. Now I need to learn how to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom