Help choosing a digital cam/housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cadivin

Registered
Reaction score
Hello...

I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice. I've been diving for awhile now, and have decided that I'd like to give uw photography a try.

I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a set-up to start with. Just a decent digital/housing and maybe a strobe.

Looking at a sony dsc93 and housing. ~$400 for both. I'm wondering if this is the wrong way to go?? Just looking for something to start with....not sure if I need a strobe.

Do I absolutely need a strobe? If so, what's a reasonable priced strobe I could use with this sony set-up?

Seems like I've been reading alot of people use canon...should I be looking at a canon digital?

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm leaving on a trip in a week and need to buy soon!

Thanks!

Not sure where my original message went! Here's a quick recap:

If you have a camera that you like already, check to see if there is a housing for it. This will help with the start up costs.

Learn to use your camera and housing before you add a strobe. You will most likely want to add a strobe in the future, but initially it is important to learn the basics. And that gives you more time to save for a good strobe that will grow with you.

Sony, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Nikon etc all make some housings for some models. You'll find people who are happy with all of them and some people who have had bad luck with all of them. FWIW here's my two cents based on personal use and personal observation of results (I run two busy dive centres and we get multiple cameras through every day).

Canon is the clear leader here, IMHO. The A series is a fanastic little unit right out of the box. Lots of people have been using the S series, too. The results are also quite good, though not quite as nice as the A series for things a bit farther away. This may be a flash difference, I don't know. There are several users here of the A series - have a look around at their galleries.

Olympus, Fuji and Nikon would be next. I think, here at least, the Nikons are overpriced. Olympus is probably in true second place, but that could be that I simply see more of these come through than the other two brands, so the comparisons aren't level. Sony would be last on my list - the photos just aren't of the same standard as the Canon's. However, other posters here have seen the opposite!

I don't think you can go too far wrong with any major camera brand and its housing. you can check out camera features side by side at www.dpreview.com More MP is not necessarily better so have a good look at things before you buy.

I still use my Canon A75 sometimes and love it.

Thanks for the advice. I found lots of old posts on the site as well which seem to agree with your advice.

I have a FUJI 4700 which I cannot find a housing for, but that's ok. It gives me an excuse to buy a new digital. I love excuses to buy new toys!

So, I ordered the Canon A95 and housing. Should get it tomorrow.

I'm heading to Thailand in < 2 weeks, so I'll be able to start practicing with it.

Just need to figure out where to go in Thailand to dive. Have a flight to Bangkok right now and that's about it.

Trying to decide which Island to head to for about 5 days. Any suggestions from Anyone???

Probably Ko Tao, but if the west side is ok, I may want to head that way. I figure if I'm going to spend money, I wouldn't mind supporting those effected by the Tsunami...just want to ensure it's safe.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom