Help an OW diver out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myth: OW divers are dangerous. Well then if that were true I would be pulling bodies out of the sea every few days but nope - every OW certified diver I've ever dived with has spectacularly failed to die. Myth busted.

In my experience, the most dangerous divers are people who have made a few dives, taken a particular course, think they know everything and have what I call the IOW cert - Immortal Open Water: "Buddy checks are for novices, I can solo dive because my insta-buddy is a life-threatening nightmare and I know better. I must carry two lights and two reels and two SMBs and must wear these fins because this is the only way to dive safely, and anybody who doesn't do this is gonna DIE! I know that this, that and the other standard or limit or recommendation is too conservative and I can willingly break those limits because I know better"

Okay - qualify that a little. In some diving circumstances, you do need some extra things, and you do need to acquire certain techniques, but for your average tropical recreational diver, they are not so important.

The most dangerous diver, in my opinion, is the diver with just a bit of experience (call it 50 dives or so) who thinks they know better than well researched, well established, safe diving practices - even if they don't measure up to other people's opinions of what constitutes "safe" diving.

Personal understanding of what you're doing is the key, and further training, whether that be a resort-based AOW course or GUE fundamentals is never a bad thing.

Safe diving,

C.

Perhaps it was a LP hose. A HP hose would not release that much gas that quickly.

I bet that seasoned diver with old equipment and no computer probably isn't much of a liability either.

DaleC, you are correct, must have been an LP hose, it was a long time ago and I had just been certified.

Also a seasoned diver with old equipment is not necessarily a liability either, what I meant to say is a seasoned diver (or any diver) for that matter who may not take care of their old equipment could be considered dangerous. Sorry for the confusion.

brian

Your not a danger!!!!

Simply your don't have experience. Which you'll acquire in time.

When you dive with anyone pay attention to your;

buoyancy
Avoid use of hands
Stay clam
Stay relaxed
Breath properly and apply your taught skill in accordance.
Observe your gauge.

Practice your diving on every dive have fun with it in a proper manner.

Keep safe and have fun!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom