Help a newbie find a good "first" dive camera!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently purchased a sea & sea DX750G digitla camera set up. When i was shopping I went to a large camera shop and told them what I was looking for and my budget. After spening more then 2 hours with me, he reccomended a product that they did not even carry. He reccomended the the sea & sea. I have used it both above and below and I have been very happy with the pics. The only thing I have to do it get a bigger strobe for cold dark water. Regardless It is a great camera and well worth the money

Valadian
You made an interesting comment about Mr. Rig. Without a doubt a camera can easily take over your diving, as it can on the surface as well.

If you are going to be traveling then the amount of space the camera gear can take up maybe be significant in your decision. Remember that powerful strobe, it’s also very bulky and requires a lot of batteries. Add to that the tray, arm, spare strobe, battery chargers etc. It may require its own case.

That's what I liked about the Nikonos, not a great land camera but Ok for the odd snaps. Great underwater particularly for shooting macro, even made me look quite competent.

Now I am just starting out with digital underwater, vacation in about 10 weeks. Like you I did not know what to buy, asked loads of questions, searched online etc. It is a very difficult decision to make.

I decided on the Oly 8080 because it was big enough for me to use as a normal camera, yes I did say big enough. I tried to use the small cameras but found they were so difficult to hold, the buttons were so small, just to fiddly, to use as a camera. The Oly was 80% of the size of my Nikons, comfortable to hold, decent lens, more than enough pixels.

Will it work out underwater, I will just have to wait and see.

Very true Victor. My being a smaller guy (5'7") means that something on the bigger end of the scale will be a bit of a burden. So I'm trying to find something that wont end up being a big hassle and require most of my attention on a dive.

How badly do strobes eat batteries?

I currently use the Canon S80 and it is a wonderful camera above and below the waterline. Camera and UW case cost me about 600US and if you PM I can tell you where to buy.

But if you are looking for a good, small, easy to use P and S read below. I have seen many use the Oly 720, its water proof to 3 meters so if your UW case floods that probably would not be an issue, is shock proof to 5 feet...so that means your kids or who ever can "drop check" (from 5 feet) it into the toilet with no problem. It has I believe 3 different underwater scene modes besides all of the regular above water modes. Oh and you can pick it up with an UW housing for about 420US....

Back
Top Bottom