HELLP where can find Molecular sieve and Activated carbon!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both molecular sieve and activated carbon are easy to obtain here in UK and US I just don’t know how easy it is to obtain in Lithuania. As you are a member of the EU at a guess us in England are closer it would be less shipping and no import duty.

We sent a small oxygen compressor over to Lithuania last week weight was 30 kgs cost £40 shipping by Fedex. If you are looking at importing then its just postage.

As far as the chemicals are concerned we need to know the size of the compressor and ideally the diameter and length of the filter cartridge stack or make and model.

Reason is that with repacking, the chemical used has to be as good if not better than the original stuff. That way the filter lasts as long and the purity is maintained.

Throw away cartridges don’t necessarily use the best chemical material as there is little incentive but some critical components of the chemical need to be understood.

To obtain diving quality breathing air the standard in the EU is BS 12021, for other gases with an elevated oxygen concentration over 21% then its BSEN 8478

The mesh size or diameter of the chemical used in your filter is also very important,
The larger the compressor the bigger the mesh size, but filter cartridge diameter and length also is required together with the back pressure setting to obtain purity. This is also known as “dwell time”

The type of chemical you choose would take up pages to write up correctly needless to say with activated carbon (AC) you must use a granular type made from coconut husks, be careful about using carbon used for water filters and fish tanks or that made from wood.

For Molecular sieve (MS) about the same amount of pages needed but basically it should be 13X angstrom size with the minimum amount or no inert binder (clay silicate) added. Of critical importance is for the EU the chemical must be in steel drums or cans and be in UN certified drums or cans for transport, It should never be stored or shipped in plastic containers unless you are happy with a short shelf life and if customs find and it was shipped air you are in trouble.

Available in UK in 25 ltr steel drums containing about (20kg MS or 10Kg AC)
Also 5ltr steel drums with (4Kg MS or 2Kg AC) or if you want 205 ltr steel drums containing 135Kg MS and 25Kg drums of AC. Iain Middlebrook

Many thanks for the answers. Compressor model is Drager DK 24/300 air delivery 425ltr/min. I think, shipping to Lithuania would not be a problem, so how can I get MS and AC?
Andrius

Dannobee
Haha Just looked up your web site, someone better tell Charlie Townsend most of us over here still think a quart is used in particle physics (or is that a quark LOL)

I can’t believe you guys still are happy to work in quarts and US gallons. What next feet sea water? pressure in psi? partial pressure in ATA? must be a real drag. LOL

From memory the DK24/300 is an old yellow and black cased unit I think the original filter cartridges were about 60mm diameter by 800 long and used around 1.4 kilos or in US terms about (3 lbs) of chemical,

Now what that is in quarts I have no idea but I’m sure we can work it out. :)

How much chemical you need will depend on how many hours you run a year, Cost is dependant on how much you order, I can look the cost in UK when I'm back in the office tommorow. Iain Middlebrook

OK One 1 US gallon is only 3.78 litres our nearest size would be 5.00 litres.

But One 1 US Quart is 1.13 litres

So one 1 US gallon equals 3.33 imperial quarts

Guys you have my respect for any nation to work that lot out and expect everyone to be able to function with it no wonder petrol (gasoline) is so cheap, Talk about two nations divided by a common language. All thanks to google convert. Iain Middlebrook

OK One 1 US gallon is only 3.78 litres our nearest size would be 5.00 litres.

But One 1 US Quart is 1.13 litres

So one 1 US gallon equals 3.33 imperial quarts

Guys you have my respect for any nation to work that lot out and expect everyone to be able to function with it no wonder petrol (gasoline) is so cheap, Talk about two nations divided by a common language. All thanks to google convert. Iain Middlebrook

You Brits started it all :wink:

You Brits started it all :wink:

No way you can pin this on us lot. In my day a quart was a quart(er) of a gallon.
Its you lot that started off the US Gallon, Your just trying to short change us :) LOL

Back
Top Bottom