Hello!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jodymac

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
I have just done the OW padi course abroad, and am trying to find somewhere in the UK preferably Cumbria where I can get some more supervised diving and possibly do the advanced course.

I'm a little scared to go on a dive as I don't feel confident enough yet.

Has anyone else been in this position at some point and have any advice what I should do next?

After the OW course I did do two dives with the same school, but there was me, one slightly more experienced diver and the instructor and it was the same place I'd trained in so I felt comfortable...

If you're comfortable with the equipment and general diving aspects the AOW should work and you're with an instructor. I always advised OW students to try to buddy with experienced divers (Rescue certified if possible) as opposed to 2 recently new divers together. When comfortable with all that I advise all to get rescue certification.

Thanks for the reply.
So do you think it's better to get some more dives before doing AOW? I've freaked myself out a bit reading the near misses threads...

Thanks for the reply.
So do you think it's better to get some more dives before doing AOW? I've freaked myself out a bit reading the near misses threads...
That question is probably the most if not one of the most discussed on scubaboard. Many feel it is just up to the individual. The PADI AOW course is supposedly designed to immediately follow OW, assuming you do well in OW and have no big problems (like terrible buoyancy, etc., which will be pointed out should be solved in the OW course). I did 2 dives after OW then did AOW and it went OK. It was the only way I could get out on a boat where I was at the time. As well, the boat dive by itself as a straight customer would cost maybe $100 US plus divemaster tip. And in addition I got 3 shore dives with an instructor to make the 5 for AOW.
If you do have major problems after OW it's best to get some diving in before AOW, since those dives include other things, such as underwater navigation (compass use) and you don't want to be up & down with your buoyancy or very overweighted, etc. while trying to do the new stuff. You also should be comfortable with working all your equipment.
Likewise with the Rescue Course. You take it when you're ready. I did mine with 26 dives done and probably could have used a dozen more. But, I did OK and now had the Rescue skills and all the info. in the manual.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom