Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Donnalee

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have taken many tips over the last few month's as a guest, so thank you for that, I am still training to become a open water scuba diver, been training one evening a week and tbh I'm about to give up :( I love the diving and got 100% on my exam ( very chuffed ) but I just cant get this mask clearing down, I can only breath through 1 nostril which doesn't help, I was a nose breather so kept snorting water and have trained myself out of that, I can clear the mask when I get in the water but as the hour goes on I get worse and worse and unfortunately my instructor wont let me go any further till I'm confident at mask clearing, I have tried all ways of breaking the bottom seal and pressing the top and pulling the bottom seems to work best but I just don't seem to have the nose strength to clear it, I cant tell you how frustrated I am, so I've decided to give t one more week before I quit, Just wanted to say Thanks to every ones tips on this subject it has all helped in many ways.

I don't know what to advise about only having use of one nostril. But I do know that according to my experiences, it doesn't matter how many blows it takes as long as you clear it. I have seen many students keeping at it 4-5 blows to succeed. If you can clear it when first in the water I can't figure why it would later become more difficult. Maybe others have some tips. Later on a full face mask may be easier for you, but that won't solve your problem in the course (you still have to clear a conventional mask). Good luck.

Any chance you're trying to clear it real fast, instead of in a relaxed way?

Whether you exhale through one nostril or two, the amount of air you generate should be sufficient to clear a mask. Just a speculation here; I suspect when you're sufficiently comfortable to remain calm & composed while you clear your mask, even if you need to take a second breath, and so it in an uncrushed way, that you'll find this less threatening and much more doable.

Richard.

That's more than possible, as the time goes on I'm doing it too quick, I'll try again next week and see how it goes, the most annoying thing is I don't have a problem having my mask off it's just clearing it I'm having the problem, I normally do it in 2 breath's but my instructor says would be better in one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom