Hello to fellow divers - Florida Keys ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ready2dive

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the Rainbow Reef Dive Centers in Key Largo and Marathon? We are AOW but we haven't been diving for 3 years and want to do a couple of wreck dives as well as some nice reef/wall dives, however, had heard some horror stories regarding dive centers. We would like to make sure we have some help and attentive dive operators. Also, have heard many stories that the Key Largo dive sites are quite "damaged", "over-dived" and "over-crowded" - how do they compare to the diving outside Marathon and Islamorada?
Thanks for any help! :wink:

So glad I found this ScubaBoard! We are planning a trip to the Keys next month (20th wedding anniversary!!) for 2 days and am trying to figure out where to dive and a good dive operator. We are looking for a couple easy wrecks and reef/wall dives. We are AOW, but haven't been diving for 3 years (a little landlocked) Have heard some horror stories on dive operators and want to make sure we have the help we need and competent dive operators. Also have heard that Key Largo is way too crowded, and the reefs are damaged from being over-dived. It looks like we may be staying at Coconut Cove Resort on Islamorada, so we have access to both Key Largo and Marathon. (unless anyone knows anything on this resort we should know about!)
Thanks for your time and help! :wink: :snorkels:

moved your question here to get you good answers. welcome aboard!

I just returned in early MAy from the KEys and dove with the Upper Keys Dive Center. The sucba diving was fantastic. See my dive report on the diving:http://www.scubaboard.com/t57694.html

Captain Don, Captain Brian and Jason were a great crew.
It has been windy so you will have to judge whether the seas are appropriate for returning to the boat. The wrecks are in deep water so you get teh full effect of choppy seas. The group I dove with were very experienced instructors, dive masters and rescue divers from Southern California , so the 5 to 6 foot swells were not a big deal to us, but you will need to judge your skills.

ready2dive:
... so we have access to both Key Largo and Marathon....

I haven't dived off Key Largo, but as for Marathon, I can personally vouch for Capt. Banny Thorne. Small boat, good operation. He really cares to make you happy with dive site choice, etc.

I've also heard a lot of great things about the Abyss Dive Center in Marathon. It's the favorite of many folks on this board...I just don't have personal experience with them.

Jim

all feature "damaged" sites, and "less damaged" sites. Smaller operators are more likely to take you off the beaten path, as they have greater flexibility than the big boats. If you rule out Key Largo because of what you've heard, you'll miss some of the best reef and wreck diving in the Florida Keys (imo).

If you want to avoid crowded boats and dive sites in the Keys... don't dive on the weekends! Weekday diving the way to go. Let the operator know what you're looking for (uncrowded sites, healthy corals, etc.)... and what you don't care to see (eg. hordes of other divers, trampled corals, or whatever).

I've dived with Rainbow Reef in Islamorada and Key Largo, as well as Abyss Pro Dive Center in Marathon, and liked 'em both. Request Rainbow's "six-pack" boat if you want to avoid a crowd. RR is located at Chesapeake Resort in Islamorada, which is very nice. They can probably get you a discounted room rate there. Coconut Cove Resort is nearby, and also very nice. Abyss is located behind the Holiday Inn in Marathon. They only take out six divers at a time.

Since you're obviously concerned about your personal safety, and you haven't been diving in a few years, please consider a pool refresher, or at least a guided dive or two, to get you safely back into the swing of things. I'd be concerned about the safety-consciousness of any operator who would put you in the water without requiring one or the other, considering your three year "dry-spell".

As for "walls"... you won't find the true vertical variety here (try Cozumel for those). What we do have are some pretty dramatic "drop-offs" along the forereef. Most begin at 40-60' and drop at various angles (under 90 degrees) to the sand at 70-100'. For drift diving in the Upper Keys, request the outside edge of Molasses or Conch Reef.

I hope this helps. For more info on diving in Key Largo, check out our website at www.BlueWaterDiver.net and let me know if you have any other questions. Be safe, have fun, and never stop learning!

ready2dive:
So glad I found this ScubaBoard! We are planning a trip to the Keys next month (20th wedding anniversary!!) for 2 days and am trying to figure out where to dive and a good dive operator. We are looking for a couple easy wrecks and reef/wall dives. We are AOW, but haven't been diving for 3 years (a little landlocked) Have heard some horror stories on dive operators and want to make sure we have the help we need and competent dive operators. Also have heard that Key Largo is way too crowded, and the reefs are damaged from being over-dived. It looks like we may be staying at Coconut Cove Resort on Islamorada, so we have access to both Key Largo and Marathon. (unless anyone knows anything on this resort we should know about!)
Thanks for your time and help! :wink: :snorkels:

This topic has been discussed many many times already. If you do a search, you will find your answers.
And it has already been suggested, and I suggest it also...take the refresher course. 3 years is a long time to be dry, and you will probably enjoy the diving and your vacation more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom