Hello to all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is just a short introduction. I moved from California to Texas and want to get in the water, even though it is brown here ; )

Hope to chat and network with you all (y'all) here on ScubaBoard.
Thank you,
Brady

Welcome to Houston too. Ya, you need to go to about 100 miles off Galveston coast to Flower Garden Banks in Gulf of Mexico to get a descent blue water, or 17 miles off South Padre to see Texas Clipper.

I dived an oil rig off S. Padre with American Divers. A bit pricey, but not a bad trip.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...

Welcome to Texas! Its only brown close to shore. I would do the flower gardens but cost wise I can do a week in Coz for the same price.

I dived an oil rig off S. Padre with American Divers. A bit pricey, but not a bad trip.
I would love to dive down here in corpus but as you said $300 for a 2 tank trip to the rigs isnt in my weekend budget.

Since the Flower Garden & Stetson Bank region is in your area and Dan_T mentioned it, take a look at Undercurrent's 2014 article on the M/V Fling, Flower Gardens, Texas (free access on this one). Due to your location, you can drive to Freeport and cut out the round trip airfare, which should make the cost comparison attractive against other destinations.

I once had occasion in 2015 to ask someone with past Fling involvement a question - "I'd like to try the Fling someday. Any recommendations on what time range of the year gives the best odds for a successful trip? Ideally warm water." His response - "July 15 to September 15." That's 2nd hand (I've never been on the Fling), but I trust the source.

For me in southwestern KY, where the road trip would be rather ridiculous and roundtrip airfare to a destination known for rather frequent weather-related cancellations (if I understand correctly), so far it just can't compete against other, more reliable options.

But you're in Houston, real close.

Richard.

I would definitely like to try the fling someday if I were really squeezed on time. I am sure it is incredible diving. When are you going to check out coz Rich? 2 liveaboard trips, 7 to Bonaire, and not one trip to the drift diving mecca.

I've had 3 cruise ship stops in Cozumel; tried to dive on all 3, only got to on one (wife likes to cruise in Winter; dove one January, got blown out the 2 Feb. stops). Palancar Garden was okay, but Santa Rosa Wall rocked! Dove with Living Underwater and it was a good experience.

A major issue considering a Cozumel trip is a combo. of the tyranny of choice (so many choices in places to stay, eat, who to dive with) and analysis paralysis (I like to research destinations & understand what I'm doing when I plan a trip; I turn my thoughts to Cozumel and get brain melt-down), cross-referenced with being budget-minded if I bring family (wife, daughter, little girl) - their needs matter and so does the bank account (which makes the 'easy solution' of a nice southern A.I. less workable, seeing as how they want money for all that nice stuff).

Some trips I go solo; some with family. Because Cozumel can be a budget destination and has topside offerings, it's harder for me to justify a solo trip. If I went solo, based on what I've read, I'd probably consider a stay at Casa Mexicana (? IIRC; the one with the very popular breakfast buffet) and see if Aldora or Living Underwater would pick me up nearby. Or I might be swayed by the simplicity plus shore diving option of Blue Angel Resort. Or, or, or...TILT! TILT! TILT!

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom