Hello ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saharasurfer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ....
I'm new to the boards. Live in CT. I used to live in NC and that's where I was originally certified back in 1994. I'm 61 and still diving. No plans to stop ... ever. Don't dive much locally up here in the northeast but I do have the dry suit for it. I prefer to dive in NC, FL, and the Caribbean. I try to get a trip in at least once a year but 2020 was a zero dives year. Last diving done was in Belize in 2021. 2022 is also a no dives year thus far but I plan to fix that soon. I've never dove the West Coast and except some Caribbean trips all my dives have been in the US. I have a master certification and dive Nitrox always. I'm a horrible underwater photographer and I'll be switching to a GoPro before my next dive trip. I use a set up that's primarily "tech"-ish (backplate, 7' primary hose) but I only dive recreationally ... No deco, no caves, only reasonable and safe wreck penetration. That's my ramble.

Welcome! I think 2020 was a surface interval year for a lot of people. Where did you dive in Belize?

I, too, was curious about west coast diving, so back in 2016 I headed out there. While a lot has changed in the wake of the later Conception disaster, perhaps some of my research notes might still be of some help. It's worth a trip!

My Notes For Researching My California Dive Trip - My Notes for Researching My California Dive Trip

Richard.

Welcome! I think 2020 was a surface interval year for a lot of people. Where did you dive in Belize?

I, too, was curious about west coast diving, so back in 2016 I headed out there. While a lot has changed in the wake of the later Conception disaster, perhaps some of my research notes might still be of some help. It's worth a trip!

My Notes For Researching My California Dive Trip - My Notes for Researching My California Dive Trip

Richard.
We were on the Aggressor IV our of Belize City for a week in May 2021. Great vessel and crew. Pricy but worth it for me. Sites we hit were at Turneffe, Long Caye, Half Moon Caye, and some others. I don't think we travelled very far from Belize City the whole time. It was a relatively windy week. We did get to the Blue Hole on our last full day even though it wasn't looking good the whole time. This was a 2020 trip that got bumped/vouchered for a year. The 2020 schedule lined up with the moon cycle so the original plan was to stay a few extra days, drive to Placencia, and go out on a Whale Shark dive. I re-booked everything exactly the same for 2021 but I was clueless about the lunar stuff. So we just sat on a beach in Placencia for a few days before coming back home.

I have friends on the West Coast that are dive instructors. I met them in 2018. They lost at least one friend on that tragedy that I know of. I still need to take them up on visiting. Thanks for the notes.

Welcome to the Board. I usually shore dive in CT in summer-- Pleasure Beach (near New London), Hammonassett Park, Walnet Beach, Merwin Point. Really shallow, but an excuse to get wet. Do you know of any well-kept secret spots in CT?

Welcome to the Board. I usually shore dive in CT in summer-- Pleasure Beach (near New London), Hammonassett Park, Walnet Beach, Merwin Point. Really shallow, but an excuse to get wet. Do you know of any well-kept secret spots in CT?
Hi. Yeah ... 2 spots I can think of right off. But they aren't really secret.

Stonington Point is a really nice and an easy shore dive. It's good for night diving too and you should see your share of lobsters there. Also very shallow. You can park your vehicle and get your gear very close to the shore there. There are some daytime restrictions because it's also a town beach during the day. I don't think those restrictions are year round. Just make sure you're not going there when diving is not allowed.

The other is in RI but not too far from the CT border. Fort Wetherill in Jamestown, RI is a great place to shore dive. It's a state park. I've only been there for events set up by dive shops so I don't know if there are permits or passes involved with just showing up to dive there. But I don't think it's complicated to get access. My local dive shop hosts a Sunday pot luck and dive picnic once per month in June, July, and August every year. (New England Dive Center in Wallingford CT if you're interested in the dates for 2022.)

Hi. Yeah ... 2 spots I can think of right off. But they aren't really secret.

Stonington Point is a really nice and an easy shore dive. It's good for night diving too and you should see your share of lobsters there. Also very shallow. You can park your vehicle and get your gear very close to the shore there. There are some daytime restrictions because it's also a town beach during the day. I don't think those restrictions are year round. Just make sure you're not going there when diving is not allowed.

The other is in RI but not too far from the CT border. Fort Wetherill in Jamestown, RI is a great place to shore dive. It's a state park. I've only been there for events set up by dive shops so I don't know if there are permits or passes involved with just showing up to dive there. But I don't think it's complicated to get access. My local dive shop hosts a Sunday pot luck and dive picnic once per month in June, July, and August every year. (New England Dive Center in Wallingford CT if you're interested in the dates for 2022.)
Thanks.
Yeah, Stonington is closed to diving during the day in summer when I'm down there.
I've dived Ft. Wetherill a couple of times. Pretty decent. No fees-- I think there are no fees at any RI parks --the way it should be, NY & CT.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom