Hello! My name is Kyle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle89

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Kyle, I currently reside in Ohio, but grew up in Florida. I moved to Ohio to be with family, but lately have been considering a huge change of scenery. I have no experience with diving beyond the many snorkel trips with my family while living in the Sunshine State. I've always had a love for the Ocean and all its wonders. Actually since I've moved to Ohio I've consistently felt the need to be back in the sunshine and saltwater. For lack of a better term, I feel like a fish out of water! I've always been fascinated with scuba diving but never had the opportunity to learn, until now...and the sad thing is, I don't know what to do! Which is exactly what lead me to find this forum full of wonderful people who have followed their dream of becoming a divemaster in hopes of finding advice :)

I just recently discovered an opportunity presented by a dive charter located in beautiful Marathon, FL. If I act fast and make the move down there soon, they will take me on and even train me to become a divemaster. They are even willing to work with me on payment for the training, which will total around $2,000 and take around 2 months I'm told. $2,000 for the amazing experiences that I'd gain from becoming a career scuba diver seems well worth it.

The catch is this, my fiancee and I both have jobs we would have to leave. She currently makes a decent salaried living at a menial job in the medical billing industry, and I build websites and fix computers with a local tech company. She is excited at the prospect of leaving the stressful environment of everyday "normal living" in exchange for a minimalist life in paradise. I'm also ready.

I recognize actually moving somewhere is a lot different than vacationing. You bring all your bills and stress and troubles along, however, my thoughts on that are....I have my troubles and bills no matter where I am, so why not have them in a location I love rather than...farms...

If you're from Marathon or made a big move to live the dive life, I would love to hear your experiences!

howdy and welcome from south Florida.......good luck with your life's mission and passion....

Last edited:
Welcome to Scubaboard.

One thing to consider is that the deal you are describing is not a once in a lifetime opportunity. You could get OW certified in Ohio and do some diving while you wait to decide if you want to lead a minimalist lifestyle as a professional DM.

Back
Top Bottom