Hello! Just enrolled in OW at PADI center in ST. Louis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BWells

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello ive just recently enrolled in an Open Water Certification course and I am so excited to take this first step. I've been a lifeguard for over 7 years and unfortunately I live land locked in Illinois. I would love to work my way up to Dive-master and look for a job in Florida or California diving.

Please stop by and say hello and give me some recommendations for training, potential career paths and some starting equipment opinions I still need to pick out my mask fins and snorkel when I go in for class this week.

Hi!

Nothing prepares you for a divemaster role better than ... lot's of diving! :)

Come out with us some time. Lot's of local diving opportunities in the warmer months in the Midwest - and all year round if you are dry suit certified.

I teach frequently at the quarries and springs around St. Louis. Look forward to running into you!

Welcome to the board and to diving. It gets addicting - both of them. Take your time buying gear so you can do a little research and get what is best for you and your eventual goals.

My work will start bringing me to Festus, MO every three months for a few days. I will try to do some local dives including Bonne Terre Mine. Once your training is complete let's see about getting together.

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant! We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

Wow thanks for all the warm greetings everyone! I couldnt be more excited for this adventure. I would love to meet up with you guys if youre going to be in the Midwest area. HMU with any information or possible upcoming dives .

Does anyone have any advice on buying fins? I was thinking about buying these because they look so sexy LOL but I feel like thats a big investment right out of the gate.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsfxs/mares-x-stream-open-heel-fins

Does anyone have any advice on buying fins? I was thinking about buying these because they look so sexy LOL but I feel like thats a big investment right out of the gate.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsfxs/mares-x-stream-open-heel-fins

full

There's no real reason to spend that much on fins... especially a pair of overly designed fins that have all kinds of "features" that serve no purpose.

The vast majority of the most demanding divers on the planet (cave and other tech divers) go for simple paddle-style fins like ScubaPro jets...

scpjetfin.jpg

The are many similar versions from a range of gear manufacturers.

As far as fins go, I like freediving fins. With most freedive fins you have the ability to change the blade, so you can swap out a blade to try something different such as a shorter or longer blade, or a more stiff/less stiff blade.

Not to burst your bubble on the divemaster thing, but it's not exactly the best career. Don't expect to work as a DM and make enough to survive, unless you own a dive boat or something, but even then competition can be fierce.

Hello! Just wanted to give my suggestions. As for the mask, get an Aqua-Lung Favola. Those things are made of clear silicone and are built like a tank. Purging it is also quite simple because it has such a low volume.

KopCB

Heading to the pool on the 24th to try some new gear, aka the Aqua-Lung Titan...

If you are also looking to see some diving, check out some of Jacques Cousteau's Undersea World episodes on YouTube. Keeps me in the spirit of diving during the colder months.

Back
Top Bottom