Hello from the California Wine Country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather old

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from the Napa/Sonoma Valley. Land of grapevines and oceans of kelp forests. I have enjoyed pouring over the pages of this website to learn from the many advanced divers on the site.

To all the advanced divers that post on this board thanks for unselfishly sharing your years of expertise with the newer members to the diving community. I have learned so much that will make my dives more fun and much safer. I wonder how many lives you have saved with your advice.

I got my C-Card in Hawaii in April. Waited about 20 years to finally make the time. When I returned to Northern California I kept hearing expert divers saying "If you can dive in Northern California waters...you can dive almost anywhere." So even though I took up diving as a pastime that I would use almost exclusively in tropical waters, I didn't want to become a twice a year diver and I was intrigued by the abundant and LARGE sea life that cold water diving provides. So I have dived Monterey several times and loved it.

My daughter is doing a referral course right now and she does her open water dives in Hawaii when we return there two days from now. I will complete my AOW this trip and use my new skills when I return to the mainland and dive the Channel Islands near Santa Barbara.

Even though I'm a newbie I figured out that the best way to become a good diver is to dive and dive and dive. I only wish I had taken it up a long time ago. Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you.

:jester:

welcome to the board, nice to have you.

Hindsight.....20/20! Same here...wished I had started earlier but....hey, I'm not looking back again. Like you said DIVE, DIVE and DIVE some more.

Glad you can share the fun with your daughter. Enjoy!

Trip report???? upon return from Hawaii.

Howdy, Glad to hear from Calif. Wine country. I'm out there twice a yr. Maybe we can talk wine and Scuba or hook up some time out there and do some diving.

Glad to have you aboard. Enjoy the board.

Chad

Hi Mouth Breather!
Oh, yes, you have a treat coming in the Channel Islands!! I love Anacapa with its cute Sea Lions. I keep hoping to tackel Jade Cove; maybe this fall. Yes, I have heard that if u can handle diving locally, you can dive anywhere, too. I hope that is true, because I have my heart set on the Galapagos! Keep us posted on your progress!

Welcome to the boards. I'm very similar to you -- wished I had started diving earlier. Also, I experienced my first dives in the Caribbean, so I avoided California diving (thought it would be too strenuous, too cold, not enough to look at).

I was wrong on all accounts. I'm only as old as I feel, and California diving is spectacular! Like art.chick says, the Channel Islands are a treat. Try Catalina Island if you get a chance.

Carbon

Back
Top Bottom