Hello from SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the rescue diving class shortly after being certified. It was a nice transition that got me doing a lot more diving. California water can be "cold" as I discovered after diving off San Diego on my way back to Alaska from the Cayman Islands, but get a good fitting wetsuit and that will solve part of the problem or consider a drysuit. Water temperature also varies seasonally a bit and generally gets warmer as one heads south. Channel Islands, for my money, is some of the best diving, warm or cold, in the world. Anacapa Island is close to the mainland and offers great diving. One of my most favorite spots is the landing cove at Anacapa Island. That said, I hope you will find California diving as exciting and wonderful as I did. Lots of good memories, lots of great friends.

Sure, I believe I will have a lot fun here. Even consider to be a professional sometime.

Welcome to the neighborhood Saite! The water is currently at its coldest-- so hopefully you will take some solace in that :) - It will get warmer month by month and will peak out around September/October before reversing direction again. I assume you dove with a hood, but if not, it will make a big difference. If you don't want to add the expense of a drysuit, I would suggest adding a 3mm vest/5mm hood under your 7mm wetsuit to up the warmth factor. If you plan to live here for an extended period of time and plan to dive regularly and consistently, then a drysuit is a really good idea. Happy to help in any way I can. Don't hesitate to reach out. -- Greg

That's the best new I heard today. Ha~ I saw some big Sheep head toady at Shaws Cove. Do you have any recommendations for where to dive in SoCal? I plan to dive from Malibu to San Diego. I also want to try spearfishing sometime outside the protected area. Maybe try to grab some sea urchins.

That's the best new I heard today. Ha~ I saw some big Sheep head toady at Shaws Cove. Do you have any recommendations for where to dive in SoCal? I plan to dive from Malibu to San Diego. I also want to try spearfishing sometime outside the protected area. Maybe try to grab some sea urchins.
I just moved down here from the Pacific Northwest a few months ago. I live near Ventura and do all of my diving in the Channel Islands on day boats and weekend boats out of Ventura and Santa Barbara to Anacapa and Santa Cruz. I have yet to dial in the shore dive scene, but plan to soon. Shaw's is definitely a well known shore dive. Adjacent to it are 2 other well regarded dive sites: Fisherman's Cove and Crescent Bay. Up in Malibu, I have heard mostly that Leo Carillo State Park is one of the best dive sites. I went to check it out and it has some nice looking kelp beds just beyond a rocky pinnacle that juts up out of the water. There is another scubaboard member that is new to the forum and lives in Huntington Beach that has posted and said he is looking for dive buddies, but he has no vehicle. He might be a good person to connect with. He is about as experienced as you are and also has desires to advance in diving and possibly become a dive professional. I believe his member name is
PunkabillyTurk

@Saite ... Welcome to the boards.

When I first moved to NorCal I invested in a DUI drysuit so that I could dive Monterey. It was one of the best investments I made. I have a 3mm, 5mm and drysuit so I am covered in any condition.

If you get a chance, I recommend you run up the coast and dive Point Lobos State Park and Monterey Bay. Great cold water diving.

I moved back East a couple of years ago and do most of my diving along the NC coast and Caribbean alog with salvage work in some local lakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom