Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJ65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

My name is TJ and I am in the process of getting my PADI Open Water Certification. I start my pool sessions tonight. My wife & I are going to Bonaire from Sept 8th to the 18th. Looking see if anyone out there might be there at the same time. My wife doesn't dive, so I am looking for friends to dive with and help with any pointers. I've gone scuba diving before in Jamaica, but this will be my first time as a certified diver (as long as I pass my class). Please leave me a note if you'll be in Bonaire at the same time. We are staying at the Plaza Beach and Dive Resort.

Thanks & Safe Diving,

TJ

Hey TJ, welcome to the boards and to diving! Unfortunately, I'll be arriving in Bonaire (at the Plaza) the day you leave. But I just wanted to say that Toucan Diving (the Plaza's dive op) is awesome, and Hagen and his staff are all great. Will you be doing any boat dives with them? If so, I'm sure you'll meet other divers who will want to do plenty of shore dives at the house reef (18th Palm). One tip would be to see if you can get nitrox certified before you head to Bonaire. Of all the certs out there, nitrox is arguable the most valuable one to have after you get your OWD.

Also, you might want to post this in the Bonaire section.

Thanks for the tip. I was planning on talking to my instructor tonight about it. I also thought I could see if I could get the certification in Bonaire. Right now I don't have anything scheduled. Once I get my certification, I am going to upgrade our stay to a Dive Package. They offer 6 boat dive's for $300. I may do those. Is it worth the $300? What is the Plaza Resort like. This is our first trip there. We normally go to Jamaica.

Thanks for the tip. I was planning on talking to my instructor tonight about it. I also thought I could see if I could get the certification in Bonaire. Right now I don't have anything scheduled. Once I get my certification, I am going to upgrade our stay to a Dive Package. They offer 6 boat dive's for $300. I may do those. Is it worth the $300? What is the Plaza Resort like. This is our first trip there. We normally go to Jamaica.
In your case, definitely do the dive package. That way you will at the very least get in six 2-tank dives. You can always sign up for more boat dives if you like. They will go out in the afternoon or evening as well if they get enough people to sign up. Like I said, make friends on the boat dives and you will likely find people to shore dive with as well. Otherwise, without a buddy you won't be doing any shore dives. The only time it doesn't make sense to do boat dives in Bonaire is when you have a set dive buddy and you rent a car. In that case, there's tons of shore diving to be had. But that isn't your situation, so boat diving is the way to go.

As for nitrox, it's up to you whether you want to get that cert or not. But if you do, definitely try to do it before your trip. There's no sense in wasting precious vacation - and dive - time doing a cert. Especially nitrox, since it's all classroom stuff anyway. It's an easy cert to get and will make a world of difference on dive trips when you are doing multiple days of multiple dives per day.

The Plaza is nice. It's not super luxurious, but it's clean, the people are friendly, the food is pretty good most days (not mind blowing, but not terrible either), and beach is nice. They just remodeled their pool. You'll really enjoy your stay.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! I second the motion to try to get nitrox certified. It's easy and is just classroom, but with OW and Nitrox, you can do A LOT of diving! Tell us all about Bonaire when you get back!

I inquired about it in my first confined dive class last night. I am hoping to complete it at the same time. I'll let you know how it is.

In your case, definitely do the dive package. That way you will at the very least get in six 2-tank dives. You can always sign up for more boat dives if you like. They will go out in the afternoon or evening as well if they get enough people to sign up. Like I said, make friends on the boat dives and you will likely find people to shore dive with as well. Otherwise, without a buddy you won't be doing any shore dives. The only time it doesn't make sense to do boat dives in Bonaire is when you have a set dive buddy and you rent a car. In that case, there's tons of shore diving to be had. But that isn't your situation, so boat diving is the way to go.

As for nitrox, it's up to you whether you want to get that cert or not. But if you do, definitely try to do it before your trip. There's no sense in wasting precious vacation - and dive - time doing a cert. Especially nitrox, since it's all classroom stuff anyway. It's an easy cert to get and will make a world of difference on dive trips when you are doing multiple days of multiple dives per day.

The Plaza is nice. It's not super luxurious, but it's clean, the people are friendly, the food is pretty good most days (not mind blowing, but not terrible either), and beach is nice. They just remodeled their pool. You'll really enjoy your stay.

Is it Cheaper to buy gear here or to buy gear there?

Is it Cheaper to buy gear here or to buy gear there?
Always buy at home. It’s always going to be more expensive to buy on an island. And you’ll get more selection at home.

Good Morning, TJ and welcome! I'm in Canonsburg.

Who are are you taking your classes with?

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy your trip to Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom