Hello from NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJStetson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
(Not from underwater in NYC, just where I live, above sea level...for the moment.)

I swam competitively as a boy, but only recently learned to dive, for the joy of it, as well as to capture photos and videos underwater.

During a trip to Monterey, CA in early 2018, the folks at Backscatter were incredibly friendly and helpful as I started learning to shoot with the Nauticam housing for a Sony a7r iii, both with and without the Wet Wide Lens.

I've since traveled to the Seychelles, to Heron Island and Lady Elliot Island in the southern Great Barrier Reef (Sir Attenborough's most magical place on the planet), La Paz, Mexico, and Catalina, and look forward to continuing to explore diving and underwater photography and videography. Once it's safe to travel, I would love to swim with whales, particularly humpback whales.

Glad to be here, and open to your recommendations!
AJ

2018-11-20-La Paz-C1Pro10_AJS3675 1.jpg
photo of a sea lion pup at Los Islotes, Mexico

Welcome and stay sheltered as best u can...I do believe my subway days are over sadly....I miss my city of 40 years.

AJ, that is an increadible picture. Welcome!

If you are not already aware of them, I'd suggest that you look into the NYC Sea Gypsies: Home.

I'm a distance member and don't make it up for meetings, but in "normal" times they do a monthly photography-focused meeting. They also do great mentoring programs and sponsor or link up to dive trips, local and abroad.

@doctormike is the resident rep on here, a UW photog, and dive chair for the club.

Hey, AJ... welcome!

Check out our dive club - we aren't quite sure what's going to happen with the local dive season, but we do have a lot of diving on the schedule. These days were are doing a lot of Zoom meetings with lectures, as well a our NY Underwater Photography Society meetings.

Hope to meet you someday, feel free to ask if you have any specific questions about local diving. I actually saw a humpback whale on the deco line over a wreck off the NJ shore last year!

Welcome from Nova Scotia and a native of Yonkers. Do you dive locally (CT/NJ/LI)? I usually shore dive in the area for 7 weeks in summer since I'm in the area anyway. Looks like that won't happen this year. How are things now in the area with the virus? Any improvements? I always play with a concert band in Scarsdale. Our conductor lives right near what was the epicenter "containment area" in New Rochelle.

Welcome and stay sheltered as best u can...I do believe my subway days are over sadly....I miss my city of 40 years.

Thank you, flyboy08. I was on the subway every day until March 10, when I came down with aches, then a fever, and was diagnosed with COVID-19 (it took many days and dozens of calls but I managed to get tested). I'm recovered now, but no longer riding the subway. Finally started using bikes and scooters!

Thank you for the good wishes.
Stay healthy,
AJ

AJ, that is an increadible picture. Welcome!

If you are not already aware of them, I'd suggest that you look into the NYC Sea Gypsies: Home.

I'm a distance member and don't make it up for meetings, but in "normal" times they do a monthly photography-focused meeting. They also do great mentoring programs and sponsor or link up to dive trips, local and abroad.

@doctormike is the resident rep on here, a UW photog, and dive chair for the club.

Thanks for the kind words, great recommendation, and referral, JD!
Hope you're healthy and well, and can dive again soon.
Very glad to have discovered this community!
AJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom