Hello from COVID central

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevenRN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My name is Steven Rogers and I have been a Registered Nurse for almost 22 years. I have worked for the County of Los Angeles Department of Health Services the entire time in addition to working registry at several local hospitals as well. I work in the Emergency Room which is COVID Central right now. Almost every pt I see in a 12 hour shift is being ruled out. Most go home but several do not.. It is an interesting time to be in healthcare right now. We are litterally on the front lines of a war against a hidden enemy. Almost every day someone donates food, supplies or just stops by to give words of encouragement. I must say that this makes the day go by so much easier.

I also volunteer at the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber. I am an Intern and still working on my skills to make full crew. Understandably, it is almost impossible to take time away from the day job to volunteer out at the Chamber without worrying what I am exposing them to, so I am keeping my distance. I miss being out on the Island and enjoying the quietness of Island Life. I did get to be the tender on one treatment and for those that have been out there, know that there is no normal bathroom or privacy while in the chamber... That was the longest 5+ hours of my life...lol....

When I am not working, I enjoy reloading my own rifle and pistol ammo and cast my own bullets and attempt to keep a family together. My wife and daughter are not into water sports, so it's only me. I stopped diving when my daughter was born which was more than 17 years ago and I really want to get back into it. Doing the training and talking with the other volunteers at the Chamber only re-enforces that desire and I am slowly getting all my gear serviced.

I have a Halcyon BC, an old Suunto Dive Computer and US Divers regs... All of which have been in storage for almost 18 years. I think it can all be salvaged, but more likely it should go to Alec Pierce from Vintage Scuba...

I also am pursuing a degree in Emergency Management and Homeland Security at Grand Canyon University. I have currently taken a break and am finding it hard to climb back on the saddle. I serve on the Hospital's Emegency Management Committee as a Planning Chief and did get to serve as the Incident Commander during the SaddleRidge Fire. Our campus is no stranger to wildfire and has almost been wiped out before and it will happen again so we are prepared for that.

Well, that's about it... if anybody has any questions regarding anything I talked about or wants to talk about diving, shooting, reloading or Hyperbarics, I will do my best to answer.

Based on the title, I honestly thought you were going to be from NYC.

Thank you for all your hard work and the insane risk you take everyday going to work. I would have to wear diapers for all the times I would sht my pants were I in your position. The tragedy and sadness you must deal with would be crushing to most of us. You're probably going to need to dive more any of us after this.

God bless and..

tumblr_lmpavpxDKS1qchzcgo1_500.png

Well, that's about it... if anybody has any questions regarding anything I talked about or wants to talk about diving, shooting, reloading or Hyperbarics, I will do my best to answer.
How many times were you dressed as Captain America as a kid? :wink:

Welcome to the board. Tough time to get back into diving. I'm not sure about CA, but diving is supposed to be off limits here in FL right now (loads of people ignore the restriction of course). Consider taking a refresher (or full open water) course when you do get back into diving. A lot has probably changed in 17 years. Re: gear that's been sitting for 17 years. You can probably salvage those regs, although it might be cheaper to replace them. There's a number of folks on SB who talk about diving US divers regulators still. I wouldn't mess with a BCD or computer that's been sitting for so long. On the other hand, I'm a little more conservative with regards to risk than many on SB seem to be.

How many times were you dressed as Captain America as a kid? :wink:

Welcome to the board. Tough time to get back into diving. I'm not sure about CA, but diving is supposed to be off limits here in FL right now (loads of people ignore the restriction of course). Consider taking a refresher (or full open water) course when you do get back into diving. A lot has probably changed in 17 years. Re: gear that's been sitting for 17 years. You can probably salvage those regs, although it might be cheaper to replace them. There's a number of folks on SB who talk about diving US divers regulators still. I wouldn't mess with a BCD or computer that's been sitting for so long. On the other hand, I'm a little more conservative with regards to risk than many on SB seem to be.

Sadly, my Mother never took advantage of my name. At work, they call me Captain or LOLO which is Grampa in Tagalog... I am the senior nurse in my department.

As far as the gear, I actually got the computer running again. Took it to my local dive shop (LDS) and had it serviced and replaced the battery and voila, it worked. Still had all my last dives in it too! I have taken it into the chamber to see how it reads and it seems to work well. I did not hook it up to a tank, so that will be my next experiment. If I ever get back to the Chamber, I can make dry dives in the chamber and test things out there. Reg's I will do next.

I am worried about the BC as I am sure there is residual salt crystals in there. Is it expensive to replace a bladder? That was a pricey BC and I would hate to have to replace it. My LDS is obviously closed, so I cannot take it in.

I am looking at a refresher class with my LDS. There is an instructor there that comes highly recommended and he and I share other common interests besides diving.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida....sounds like you could use some underwater solitude after a days work....thank you for all you do and good luck to you and yours.....

Sadly, my Mother never took advantage of my name. At work, they call me Captain or LOLO which is Grampa in Tagalog... I am the senior nurse in my department.

As far as the gear, I actually got the computer running again. Took it to my local dive shop (LDS) and had it serviced and replaced the battery and voila, it worked. Still had all my last dives in it too! I have taken it into the chamber to see how it reads and it seems to work well. I did not hook it up to a tank, so that will be my next experiment. If I ever get back to the Chamber, I can make dry dives in the chamber and test things out there. Reg's I will do next.

I am worried about the BC as I am sure there is residual salt crystals in there. Is it expensive to replace a bladder? That was a pricey BC and I would hate to have to replace it. My LDS is obviously closed, so I cannot take it in.

I am looking at a refresher class with my LDS. There is an instructor there that comes highly recommended and he and I share other common interests besides diving.
Are you Filipino? I was born in Angeles city, although I chose American citizenship (because duh). USAF brat.

Regarding the BC. I'm not extremely familiar with Halcyon, but some of their wings do have replaceable bladders. Bladders are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace yourself if you've got one that's replaceable. I replaced the bladder on my dive-rite wing for $100 a year or two ago. Since you're in LA, check with Hollywood divers 323-969-9666 as they're a Halcyon dealer. There are several other Halcyon dealers in that area if you don't like that one: Halcyon Dive Systems

You'll probably want to replace the power inflator and maybe the dump valve(s) as well. I'm not sure about halcyon branded inflators, but generic ones are around $20. I use divegearexpress for little stuff like that when I can as they're cheap and good. 45-degree Oral Power Inflator | Dive Gear Express® Dump valves are $5. Both are easy to DIY. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-bc-overpressure-relief-and-dump-valve

Are you Filipino? I was born in Angeles city, although I chose American citizenship (because duh). USAF brat.

Regarding the BC. I'm not extremely familiar with Halcyon, but some of their wings do have replaceable bladders. Bladders are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace yourself if you've got one that's replaceable. I replaced the bladder on my dive-rite wing for $100 a year or two ago. Since you're in LA, check with Hollywood divers 323-969-9666 as they're a Halcyon dealer. There are several other Halcyon dealers in that area if you don't like that one: Halcyon Dive Systems

You'll probably want to replace the power inflator and maybe the dump valve(s) as well. I'm not sure about halcyon branded inflators, but generic ones are around $20. I use divegearexpress for little stuff like that when I can as they're cheap and good. 45-degree Oral Power Inflator | Dive Gear Express® Dump valves are $5. Both are easy to DIY. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-bc-overpressure-relief-and-dump-valve

No, I am not Filipino, LOL. Just your average white guy. Thanks for the suggestions for the BC, I will look into that. Hopefully they are open for service. My father was stationed on Clark AFB and did marry a Filipino woman, (2nd marriage, not my mother), but that did not last. He was there in the 70's. He always said he loved his time there and thailand.

You are welcome. Just doing our jobs.

You are welcome. Just doing our jobs.

Thanks for all Steve and to me, those working in the hospitals and EMTs during this time, are doing more than just your jobs. Be well and stay safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom