Hello From an Oldtimer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willieboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello folks. I am a decrepit seventy-one year old man. I was certified on a cold icy day in 1970. My scuba experience was almost exclusively on wrecks in lakes Michigan and Superior, with a smattering of commercialized cave diving in Northern Florida.

I joined ScubaBoard today because my wife and I will be cruising the Western Caribbean, God willing, this year. I hope I can muster the strength, energy and breath to do some snorkeling.at the three sites we'll be visiting.

I am hoping I can get up to speed by picking the brains of you good folks.

Bill

I'm 74 and not at all decrepit because I stay as active as possible. I'm not what I was at 25, or even 50, but I still have enough energy and strength for routine tropical tourist scuba dives and local mid-Atlantic inlet dives, currents and all. I still can snorkel for a couple of hours straight. I walk for miles, ride a bike, watch what I eat, do my best to protect myself from the lazy temptations of a society which regards me as superfluous.

Don't listen to those old farts who carry around pictures of their grandchildren, flop in a lounger whenever possible, and worry about burial insurance. Stay physically active, keep the weight down, stay positive. Don't let the bastards bury you. Time robs us of so many things no matter what we do. Don't facilitate the process. As a poet once suggested "rage against the dying of the light!"

If you are not ready to jump in with both feet, start slow, maybe in a pool with your snorkeling gear. You'll see how easy it can be. You may be on the far side of life, but you are all you have. Don't waste it.

I'm 72 still scuba diving been diving since 10 years old. Walk 2 miles a day keep weight at 170 . Like the song goes. Never slow down ya never grow old. Gotta go check the weather conditions Snapper season is open today here in Pensacola Fl.

Back
Top Bottom