Hello all from Williamsport, PA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mardan22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey everyone, my name is Dan. I've been a certified diver for probably 6 years or so, however it's only for open water. I haven't done much diving the last few years because of a hectic work life. I currently work in the oil field, which as most of you probably know, is pretty sketchy right now. Which leads me here as I've been looking for different career changes. I've been thinking about going back to school for commercial diving, but most of what I've been able to find has centered around oil field work. What I'd like to get into is salvage and recovery. That's what I've been searching for currently. How hard it is to get a job on that side of diving, what it pays, what kind of travel is there, etc. However, I am interested in getting into diving more seriously on a recreational side. If anyone is in the middle of PA and dives regularly, maybe not currently since its 40 out all the time now, but I'd like to chat and/or get involved in the local community more.

Thanks and hopefully will be talking or seeing some of you in the water!

Welcome aboard. You should find a fair bit of information from the members here. You may want to post your question as a thread in the Basic Forum. There are some regional forums that might get you in touch with divers closer to you as well. Have fun. :happywave:

Welcome to Scubaboard Mardan22. You've picked the right place to connect with divers worldwide. Lots of information from a wide range of divers.

I was born in Shamokin, not so far away from you. Have had the great opportunity to dive in many great places. New Jersey wreck diving is nearby,
a short plane ride to Florida offers a wide range of diving. Start exploring and enjoy.

Bowlofpetunias- Thanks! I have done a fair bit of searching on here before I made my first post, but so far most I've found is for pipe fitting or working with offshore platforms, but I will make a post in that section. Appreciate it!

mdb- Are you still in the area? I know of the local shop in Williamsport, and the class offered by PennTech that I got certified through, but don't know much more then that. Have you gone much locally or do you travel for your dives? Last time I went was in a quarry in Quakertown, Pa I believe was the name of the town, but last I heard it got shut down.

Thanks for the responses!

Bowlofpetunias- Thanks! I have done a fair bit of searching on here before I made my first post, but so far most I've found is for pipe fitting or working with offshore platforms, but I will make a post in that section. Appreciate it!

mdb- Are you still in the area? I know of the local shop in Williamsport, and the class offered by PennTech that I got certified through, but don't know much more then that. Have you gone much locally or do you travel for your dives? Last time I went was in a quarry in Quakertown, Pa I believe was the name of the town, but last I heard it got shut down.

Thanks for the responses!

Have not been in shamokin for quite awhile. I was certified in San Diego, CA while on active duty in the USMC. Diving took off from there.
You are started on a great adventure, local dives are a good start. Good luck and keep posting.

Hi. I got my MA from Bucknell - just a bit south on Rt. 15. I loved it and would prefer being back there rather than upstate NY. Oh well. Have you ever tried diving the Susquahana? Or Raymond B. Winters State Park?

Welcome to SB! There are a few commercial divers on this site that may be able to answer your questions about the potential career change.

Hi. I got my MA from Bucknell - just a bit south on Rt. 15. I loved it and would prefer being back there rather than upstate NY. Oh well. Have you ever tried diving the Susquahana? Or Raymond B. Winters State Park?
Nah I haven't had a chance to dive the Susquahana yet. I'd like to, maybe find some old lumber equipment or something. I'm not sure where the Raymond park is, but I haven't been there either.

If you would like to dive more often you may want to try Dutch Springs, It will be open 2 more weekends and then it will be closed till next April. Check it out on the Web, its the best diving resort on the east coast. I will be there next year working, at present I am on a long vacation now going on almost 2 years here in the Philippines. You won't be dissapointed at Dutch springs.

If you would like to dive more often you may want to try Dutch Springs, It will be open 2 more weekends and then it will be closed till next April. Check it out on the Web, its the best diving resort on the east coast. I will be there next year working, at present I am on a long vacation now going on almost 2 years here in the Philippines. You won't be dissapointed at Dutch springs.

That's one heck of a vacation! haha. Alright, I'll check it out, I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in a dive now, I'm out of town for work for awhile. But thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom