Hellcat dive 5-5-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did the Hellcat dive with KrisB yesterday. Awesome day - nice vis and the wind held off til we were done. Posted pix @Hellcat Dive - Maui 06-05-2009 - a set on Flickr
There were 3 giant hermit crabs inside one of the main landing gear tires fighting up a storm. Kris thinks two were males sparring for the third's (female) attention. I don't know about that but they were so big that one of them almost got away with Kris's fin. Luckly he got it back as you can see below:

3598677235_7ce0d84c03.jpg

I am not saying a single word. nope. nothing. I will resist all temptations......
What, no comments about how we had the flag with us? :D

FWIW, the fin was off because my foot was cramping...

yeah i did see that line it was so thick thought it was the boat mooring. ok now i got my glasses on and yes Krisb is pulling a line which i can only guess is a dive flag. hats off to you krisb. yeah i tried spiit fins once. nerver did that again.

yeah i did see that line it was so thick thought it was the boat mooring. ok now i got my glasses on and yes Krisb is pulling a line which i can only guess is a dive flag. hats off to you krisb. yeah i tried spiit fins once. nerver did that again.
Yeah, it's a thick rope. I sometimes tie it off to a mooring for use as the control line for the CESA skill during OWD courses... and I've found the thicker line doesn't tangle and make a mess of everything quite like the thin lines do.

I've tried non-splits, too... a few different types. Won't be doing that again (FYI: the foot cramp was from a bootie that was pinching when in fin pocket, not from fin usage. :) )

yeah had that problem sometimes i will poke a small hole in my booties so that they dont suck in on me. its a really painful thing to go thru. sometimes if the boots im wearing dont have a hole in them i will unzip them and let um fill up with water that sort of equalizes the pressure.

as for the fins well i have a very powerful kick and the split fin dont seem to work well for that. and i like to be able to move very fast when i have to jet fins give me that option. lots of people dont like them one they are heavy two if your kick is from the knee down this will cause a cramp in the calf. and there is drag caused by the design.because they trap water.once you become used to it they really are great fins.

yeah had that problem sometimes i will poke a small hole in my booties so that they dont suck in on me. its a really painful thing to go thru. sometimes if the boots im wearing dont have a hole in them i will unzip them and let um fill up with water that sort of equalizes the pressure.

as for the fins well i have a very powerful kick and the split fin dont seem to work well for that. and i like to be able to move very fast when i have to jet fins give me that option. lots of people dont like them one they are heavy two if your kick is from the knee down this will cause a cramp in the calf. and there is drag caused by the design.because they trap water.once you become used to it they really are great fins.
I hear you... I can use them, but prefer the splits -- less work, more speed... as long as you use them efficiently. Using a paddle-fin kick (long, wide) will get you nowhere... needs to be a little flutter in order to make use of the split.

I might try your hole trick -- the thing is these booties need neoprene socks underneath -- the booties are plenty holey, but the socks aren't... that might help. The only reason I wear those boots on that dive is that they're a little more sturdy -- there's a 200yd wade before you get deep enough to start kicking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom