Hell to Catch - please tell me you've seen this show!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That it!

How about when they were talking about the storm they were in had 100 mph winds???? WTF? 100mph that's like a hurricane isn't it?

How exactly do they make any money? The one captain said they grossed $2200 The captain gets 40%, that leave $1300. Then he deducts expenses, that's got to be 400-500 for fuel and such, that leaves about $800, then they split it 3 ways so that leaves about $300 at best for an over night trip or two days of work, or $150 a day, or about $5.00 an hour.

the big $ comes from the TV contract rights :)

I'm acquaintances with two of the divers. They are both excellent spearfisherman and safe divers. I've had conversations with them about the show. You have to remember that this is for TV. They are being told to be over-dramatic by producers.

If you think you're going to get rich by spearing fish you have another thing coming.

....while channel surfing last night I caught an episode of this show, and much as I like diving, I found the show very boring, there's not enough material for a single episode, much less a 'series' !

I'm acquaintances with two of the divers. They are both excellent spearfisherman and safe divers. I've had conversations with them about the show. You have to remember that this is for TV. They are being told to be over-dramatic by producers.

If you think you're going to get rich by spearing fish you have another thing coming.

That's a good way to put it. The drama makes us divers kind of chuckle at the whole thing.

Now sharks can be a nuisance and a danger to spear fisherman, it seems like the producers in their research were probably told something like that, and as soon as a shark showed up it seems like they jumped at the chance of exploiting the 'danger' whether it was really there or not. I'm sure there were high fives all around and they were super excited that they were able to show the danger or sharks to spear fisherman even though the sharks were hardly interested in them.

That's a good way to put it. The drama makes us divers kind of chuckle at the whole thing.

Now sharks can be a nuisance and a danger to spear fisherman, it seems like the producers in their research were probably told something like that, and as soon as a shark showed up it seems like they jumped at the chance of exploiting the 'danger' whether it was really there or not. I'm sure there were high fives all around and they were super excited that they were able to show the danger or sharks to spear fisherman even though the sharks were hardly interested in them.

Do we really need another TV show playing sharks up as the 'bad guys' ? Sharks are going extinct all over the world, we don't need to encourage a bunch of trigger-happy 'yahoos' to go shark hunting !

Do we really need another TV show playing sharks up as the 'bad guys' ? Sharks are going extinct all over the world, we don't need to encourage a bunch of trigger-happy 'yahoos' to go shark hunting !

I think the shark feeding operations are doing far more harm that this TV show. Plus I don't think they are being portrayed as bad. They are just being sharks. Does Shark Week make people trigger happy yahoos?

I'll take you spearfishing with me sometime. You will find that sharks are far from extinct. :D

Another overly dramatic staged "reality" show.

I just watched it tonight, and that's all that needs to be said about it. Eye-garbage.

... They are being told to be over-dramatic by producers.

Told to be over-dramatic for a reality show??? Hmmm... I guess real life is not exciting enough for TV.

Back
Top Bottom