Hei everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LaiaS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hei everyone,

It's Laia based in Svalbard. I'm a nature photographer and wildlife photography tour guide (topside photography).
I have been thinking about diving/freediving up here for a while and am still planning on getting some of the right gear, also it's one of the reasons for the small number of dives... not a big underwater community up here and it is not really active either.

I think it was about time I posted here after reading for quite a while.

Best,

Laia

Welcome to the board.

Looks like you have plenty of beach for shore dives. Just need to keep clear of the polar bears. :)

Welcome to the board.

Looks like you have plenty of beach for shore dives. Just need to keep clear of the polar bears. :)
Hi Iowwall,
Thanks for the welcome :)
Convincing anyone to be your buddy up here is not the easiest thing and convincing someone to check the shore for polar bears makes it complicated too. My plan though is at least to bring (next time I go up) freediving gear which gives a bit of flexibility.

Welcome to Scubaboard! Looking forward to reading more of your freediving adventures.

I just read what Svalbard was since I might have a trip to Norway coming up next year, now I kind of want to go see it. Maybe we could sneak in a few dives if I do!

Also welcome to the board!

Welcome to Scubaboard! Looking forward to reading more of your freediving adventures.
Hi ChillyinCanada, thanks for the welcome. I'll be heading south so I'm hoping to squeeze in some underwater time in a less remote location but I'll share my freediving adventures if I have something to share :wink:

How is the diving in Canada? (I know that probably cold too hahaha but genuinely curious)

I just read what Svalbard was since I might have a trip to Norway coming up next year, now I kind of want to go see it. Maybe we could sneak in a few dives if I do!

Also welcome to the board!
Hi Biz2000, thanks for the welcome.

Hahaha yes, Svalbard is a fascinating place. I'm moving down to Europe next month but the intention is to move back up if everything aligns next spring. I only know a few of the expedition vessels might offer diving (not sure if they have dive gear for renting but there is no dive shop up here). I've heard of great things regarding diving in Norway (cold but clear waters and kelp forests😍, it's actually on my list of places to dive).

Hi Biz2000, thanks for the welcome.

Hahaha yes, Svalbard is a fascinating place. I'm moving down to Europe next month but the intention is to move back up if everything aligns next spring.
Where do you live when you are not in Svalbard? I would concentrate on getting drysuit experience where it's more convenient.

If it turns out that you love it, maybe setting up a Svalbard dive club or even a shop is in your future :)

Or a cold water freediving club if you go that route. You need more than one diver for safety.

Where do you live when you are not in Svalbard? I would concentrate on getting drysuit experience where it's more convenient.

If it turns out that you love it, maybe setting up a Svalbard dive club or even a shop is in your future :)

Or a cold water freediving club if you go that route. You need more than one diver for safety.
I have been moving around quite a lot but this time I'm going to NE Spain and yes, I'd be continuing with drysuit diving to increase my experience (I have already done a few drysuit dives but there are never too many).

Hahaha, you are not the first one to say that😅, there is actually a dive club that hasn't been active in the last 2 years... I tried to see if there could be a spark and revive it but it doesn't look like it for now. And the little amount of gear they have is not ready to use, broke down or is not regularly serviced. That's one of the main reasons I haven't dived there already.

NE Spain is fantastic. Check these guys out: Diving - Hondarribia · Hondarribia, Gipuzkoa

I was in Hondarribia last summer with my wife. It wasn't a dive trip so I didn't have my prescription mask with me which meant I couldn't dive, but I stumbled across this shop and spent an hour talking to the owner. Very nice guy (pretty much everyone in Basque country was great) and it looks like a legit operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom