heavy legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dump

Registered
Reaction score
i have a problem when iam under and kicking i can stay horizonial but as soon as i stop kicking my legs sink and i cant stay horizonial. thats with or without a wet suit. i use a back inflate bc. any recomendations

Are you using a weight belt? It sounds to me as though you may be overweighted or at the very least there is a mismatch between your center of gravity and your center of bouyancy.

Not only are you wearing a weight belt, but what is the positioning of the weights?? Can make a big difference.

Kevin

As noted first make sure the overall weight is correct.

Next think light lungs, not heavy legs. Move some weight up to trim pockets, run your cylinder higher on your back or use a cam-strap to attach some weight to the top of your tanks. This all means moving some weight from the belt, not adding weight.

6 pounds from my belt to trim pockets made a world of difference.

Think of your body as a see-saw.

Pete

attach balloons to your ankles....

Blacthorn:
attach balloons to your ankles....

Cute idea.:partytime

But seriously, check your fins. Heavy fins can pull your feet down just enough to make the kind of difference you describe, even if you are carrying the proper weight and have it appropriately distributed. If that's the case, you can switch to lighter fins.

It sounds like a trim issue. You can't do much about the weight belt if you are using one. It's going to sit where it's going to sit. I'd suggest taking it in steps.

1. Move your tank further up on your back. You just don't want it so far up that your head bumps into it.

2. If that doesn't fix the problem take some of the lighter weight off your belt or pouches and put on a cam strap (as previously mentioned) and put in your tank toward the middle to top, making sure it is centered horizontally.

3. Last add more weight to the tank until the problem is fixed. Just don't increase the amount of weight you are diving with. You want to shift it around.

This can take several dives, but what the heck, you're diving and having fun.

Quero:
Cute idea.:partytime

But seriously, check your fins. Heavy fins can pull your feet down just enough to make the kind of difference you describe, even if you are carrying the proper weight and have it appropriately distributed. If that's the case, you can switch to lighter fins.
A simpler, lower cost method would be to learn the frog kick and its relatives. By bending(flexing) at the knees the center of gravity is moved forward on a horizontal diver.

The good news is that you’re evidently in good physical shape.
Fat floats muscle sinks.
I have the same problem. Even with a 3/16 shortie and a half breath the water level is at my eyebrows. With out the wetsuit, forget about it. It’s hard to teach drownproofing when the students watch you sink in a dead man float.
Try using ankle high neo booties to get your feet a little more buoyant. I was thinking of cutting the legs off an old wetsuit and wearing them like leg warmers. Then I thought why? Unless you need to display a horizontal hover to get your c card why sweat it. If you want to stay somewhat horizontal during a DECO stop try holding the anchor line between your legs and adjust the buoyancy of you’re top half with the BC.

Frog Dude

Frog Dude:
Fat floats muscle sinks.
try holding the anchor line between your legs...
Frog Dude

Real question for me is, what does the brain do? My experience is it neither floats nor sinks unless it wants to. I suppose this may not be true in every case. Maybe I just don't have enough fat or muscle...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom