Heated Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I have a couple of those from DRIS but being able to activate them in the water when they're inside my suit was a significant problem.

I was thinking more like a motorcycle vest or something that could be waterproofed.

Are you sure this is something you really want to mess with?

Well the snapz have a back support with a 2 hour (I'm sure less under the water ) larger heat pack. You can activate before you put your drysuit. How long of a deco are you talking? My thermulation vest really only last maybe 90 minutes if not on high.

A few of us in my club have got heated vests (LOLA). They have been great, the reflective and insulating quality means that I seldom put mine on. Its made winter diving significantly more comfortable now my core temperature remains up.
They are that efficient that one of our number almost gave himself heatstroke in the winter when he turned it up not off!

When I was looking at the options and discussing it with people it became very apparent that having he power source OUTSIDE the drysuit was a must. I saw some nasty burns on people who had either used jell packs or systems where the battery was inside the suit. One person had some serious scaring.

At least when the battery is outside, if there is a failure of the control you can either physically unplug it, or cut through the cable at worst.

Gareth

Mine is wireless so no cutting wires, I just don't keep it directly on my skin. I always have a layer under the vest. I have also seen someone turn it up on the boat ride back (wetsuit) because they were cold. This left 1st degree burns on her back from the wires. She didn't feel it burning her skin. She now wears a layer under it as well.

This would just be for deco, not for BT. I'm looking at between 60 and 90 min of deco normally. I agree that having the power source outside the suit for failure control is good, just not super crazy about having another thing on my harness after my light canister. That makes something like the ursuit one:

FIR Deep Heat System - Dive Right in Scuba

But, this is the DIY section right?

Back
Top Bottom