Heated Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming it works and is safe would depend on its impact on boyancy. i.e. do I need to carry more or less lead - if more not interested if less $500 or perhaps more. Need more information.

What is the "concept" behind your heating ? I find this interesting in that you have not mentioned what METHOD is being used to actually heat the suit.

if he has a winning product why would he let it out of the bag before he has a chance to market it and release it?

TSandM:
If there were a reliable and easily used drysuit heating system,
There already is. It would set someone back about $600 or so. (Batteries, canister. Patco 24W heater. Bulkheads for the drysuit)

Works great and makes cold water dives very nice. The idea of having al this for $150 is a pipe dream and the idea having it computer controlled is a waste.

mattroz:
if he has a winning product why would he let it out of the bag before he has a chance to market it and release it?

Because I think it's not a reality.Why hasn't some of the large scuba equipment manufacturers jumped at his idea? If this item is really earthshattering I think he would have gone to any of the scuba equipment manufacturers and sold them the idea.

lowwall:
How about a heated wetsuit? That would be a neat trick. You could sell 'em by the tens of thousands.

They allready have 2 heated wet suits
1st option: The Cheapest Peeing in your wet suit...LOL
2nd option: Hot Water Suits that Commercial Divers Use. It's not too practical with Scuba but Diving Surface Supplied Air its the ticket

JeffG:
There already is. It would set someone back about $600 or so. (Batteries, canister. Patco 24W heater. Bulkheads for the drysuit)

Works great and makes cold water dives very nice. The idea of having al this for $150 is a pipe dream and the idea having it computer controlled is a waste.

Actually, Jeff, I'm not sure that there isn't room for another system. The electrical system you're talking about has caused short circuits and burns, to the point of which at least one diver using this system has had to cut open his drysuit mid-dive because his undergarment caught fire......Imagine having to deco your way out of *that* mess...

The chemical systems are also prone to getting too hot. A battery powered heated water system might offer more control and less chance of burn wounds than the conventional systems.

R..

you have a great idea from waht it sounds like and if its all you say it is and you can keep it affordible for all divers you will make more money trying to make a little off each on rather than selling to a big comp. thats going to try to get rich off the first few thay sell no one thinks of the poor fellow any more we cant all pay 1500 for a suit but if we could all afford it we all would buy it

Diver0001:
Actually, Jeff, I'm not sure that there isn't room for another system. The electrical system you're talking about has caused short circuits and burns, to the point of which at least one diver using this system has had to cut open his drysuit mid-dive because his undergarment caught fire......Imagine having to deco your way out of *that* mess...
A fuse. But with my system "I" control when its on, so if there is a short, I could just turn it off.

But the Patco heater is water proof, its the connection from the patco to the battery wire that is the danger area.

I know someone using a motorcycle heating vest and was getting shocked and he just turned off his suit heatrer. I was flooding a bit, but with my patco I just keep on going.

YMMV

Sounds like a pretty robust system. I don't have any direct experience with it....perhaps the point being that the heaters out there are improving (even if they're not getting cheaper) to the point where the need for a new system is questionable unless it closes the price gap.

Still, I thought the hot water idea wasn't bad.... :)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom