heart attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petergr

New
Reaction score
I need some basic info on diving after a heart attack.
For those who understand this issue, I had a "mild", non Q wave infarct a year and a half ago.
I'm 55, on daily aspirin, 5mg Ramipril, 25 mg Atenolol, and 20mg Atorvastatin. I'm doing a minimum of 5 hours per week at the gym, most of it cardio exercise. And feel totally fine.
I live in a small city without the benefit of a cardiologist.
The local doctor following me is unsure about whether or not to give me the "green light".
I'd like to retake a scuba course(I took one about 15 years ago) with my teenage boys , pending taking them on a scuba vacation somwhere warm.

Any info or ideas of where to look ?
Thanks

You could check with DAN and see what they have to say about it. I'm not a doctor and don't know much about heart attacks, but I do know several divers here that have had them and still dive, but have definite limits. So, hopefully you can get back into diving again...at a reasonable pace.

I'll leave the technical stuff up to the docs.

Good luck!

One of my usual buddies had a DCS episode while doing an exercise for his 3* with CMAS.

He was diving with a doctor, who didn't notice the symptoms.

By the time he was back on the surface his heart had stopped.

He was ressusitated and spent his due in hyperbaric chamber and hospital.

Two years afterwards he was back into the water, and has since become an instructor.

The only suggestion I would have is to call both DAN and PADI and see what they have to say. I'd be looking to both organizations for information about the implications of your condition and for a referral to a cardio that has experience with diving.

Hope you can get your clearance.

Steven

Look for a post by ScubaDoc. From his profile page I think you can get to his website about diving medicine. He talks about diving following heart surgery and heart attacks. If I recall correctly the decision to allow a person with a heart probblem is based on excercise tolerance and recovery. I think this is done with a treadmill EKG.

ScubaDocs website is also intended for non diving physcians to use as a resource in gaining enough information to make a reasonably informed decision about approving or disapproving one of their patients diving.

There are two factors to consider in evaluating fitness and risk.
First, does your heart have the aerobic capacity to handle significant exertion?

This is best evaluated with a standard graded exercise test, Bruce Protocol, with a target of nine minutes without symptoms or significant changes in the vital signs or Electrocardiogram.

Stated simply, 9 minutes af a standard stress test without suspicious changes or symptoms.
Your local physician can often do this test for you.

The second is the risk of significant arrhythmia, or irregular heart beat. If you have no irregularity with exercise and your initial heart attack did not have significant arrhythmia, many physicians would not require further testing.
If arrhythmia was a factor, then I would certainly consult with a cardiologist before resuming diving.

An arrhythmia that might cause a brief lapse of consciousness at the surface could lead to drowning at depth, so the "Pucker Factor" in people with arrhythmias is elevated a little when it comes to diving, and there will sometimes be people ok'ed for surface activity that would not be a good risk diving.

Most people can dive after heart attack, especially with good fitness and appropriate attention to risk factors.

Good luck.

(If you dive Bonaire and want a personal physician on the trip, I could probably be bribed. If you don't take me, don't miss lunch at Antriol Catering for good Bonairean food.) Someday I'll figure out the spices on their chicken.

John Reinertson

Hi folks,
Just want to say how awed I was by your spirited and helpful replies. What a great community you have.
Because of your assistance I've already contacted DAN and am getting exactly the kind of info I need. I'll probably get my MD to contact them also.
And thanks especially to John for his offer about Bonaire. If I'm successful after this research I just might take you up on it.
Peter

Back
Top Bottom