Heart attack at Dutch Springs This Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmmike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and where diving at Dutch Springs this past weekend (August 25~26), on the peninsula side and early Saturday morning we look acroos to the student side and see the Ambulance.

When I spoke to one of the staff he said that somebody had a heart attack.

Does anyone have any info. on what happened and what the outcome was?

I hate to see this happen................

A heavier student diver had an apparent heart attack underwater. She was resucitated by the team at Dutch Springs and EMS. She was breathing on her own prior to transport. That is all I know as fact.

A heart attack on a golf course is never a golfing accident....

Fascinating, at Dutch it's "Heart attack" at Gilboa even when the person isn't in the water it's "Diving accident"...did the media blow this all out of proportion in your area like they do in ours? If not, can we trade media?

Glad to hear she was breathing on her own, hopefully all turns out well for her.
Ber :lilbunny:

Fascinating, at Dutch it's "Heart attack" at Gilboa even when the person isn't in the water it's "Diving accident"...did the media blow this all out of proportion in your area like they do in ours? If not, can we trade media?

It all depends on the media & authorities reporting the accident as to how it's interpreted.

I guess if it happens in the water while diving they call it a diving accident and if on land a heart attack? Only guessing on my part.

I guess if it happens in the water while diving they call it a diving accident and if on land a heart attack? Only guessing on my part.

Unfortunately that's not how it works around Gilboa. If you can see the water it's a "diving accident", from what I understand one of their heart attack victims wasn't in the water but was portrayed as a diving accident :shakehead:.

Any update on the woman's condition?

This is a topic of interest to me. I had nervously posted many times prior to my OW class about a minor heart condition that I have. My doc was out of town and I had seeen his Nurse Practioner who had me thinking that I would be black balled from diving.

My situation worked out just fine. But it is true that somehow folks connect a heart attack with the use of scuba gear as the precipitating event. Those at cardiovascular risk have attacks shoveling snow, mowing their lawns, going to the bathroom, etc.

Scuba is not a causal factor. Linking the 2 is generally a function of the press and their lack of understanding of diving. Just as all sharks are maneaters in the paper, any accident (to include dropping an air tank on your foot loading your gear) becomes a "dive incident".

It doesn't get a lot of attention since DS is out of town. I can tell you that all of the incidences that I have witnessed, the staff and other qualified professionals are on the scene FAST! They even have an anesthesiologist on staff.

I'm not aware of any of these incidence being fatal. Because of the rapid treatment they receive from the staff, plus the paramedics are a quarter mile from the quarry. Lastly, DS has a maximum of about 100ft. Some places are deeper, if you jam your arm into the mud, as I've seen some people do...:shakehead: I'm not aware of any DCS problems either. Not saying there aren't any, just I'm not aware of them.

Only thing I've read about Gilboa has been on SB. Most of those are at the deep part of the quarry, and usually people that shouldn't be diving out there anyway.

Yeah somehow heart attacks on golf courses don't go down as "golfing accident" but if you happen to be wearing scuba gear in the parking lot it's always reported as a diving accident.

Back
Top Bottom