Hearing Music at 90 fsw. Narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is only narcosis if you SEE Mozart.

I once thought I heard rap music, but it was only a boat going overhead.

A friend of mine (she's also a DM) hear what she described as "ballroom music" while diving the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire. She was at a similar depth as you. She admits she was definitely narced but had never felt that way before at the same depth. She says she heard ballroom music (assuming that's also 'classical') and then became mesmerized by the moving fins of other divers which she felt were moving in beat with the music. She said the whole thing had a trance-like feel.

I think it is another diver humming. An old trick to conserve air is to hum/sing while you dive. Dive classes teach "never hold your breath" so humming is a way to slow down your exhale and not hold your breath. Every 5th-6th bar, take a couple full breaths and continue your song.

Personally, I hum "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd but I change the lyrics to "Freefish"...

If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me
For I must be traveling on now
There's too many reefs (or wrecks) I've got to see

If I stay here with you Eel
Things just couldn't be the same
'Cause I'm as free as a fish now
And this fish you cannot change

Oh, and the fish you cannot change
Octopus knows I can't change

Bye-bye Eel, it's been sweet, love
'Though this feeling I can't change
But please don't take this so badly
'Cause Octopus knows I'm to blame

But if I stay here with you Eel
Things just couldn't be the same
'Cause I'm as free as a fish now

Oh, and the fish you cannot change
Octopus knows I can't change
Octopus help me I can't change

Oh No, I can't change

The cat doesn’t look pleased because he is wet. Although he should be pleased because he is squeaky clean.

Anyway, I figured:

diving board + Carl the Cat = wet cat picture

Hope the picture tied with the name incites at least one giggle.

Carl the Cat

Got it. I have a Siamese that will be needing it's first bath. This picture gives me second thoughts.

A good rule of thumb is to wash a cat when it is sleeping. They are going to go nuts once they get wet anyway so you may as well maximize the drama.

My 'ole tomcat Monk (RIP) loved the water. He used to sit on the top step of the pool and just sit there watching pool basketball. Once in a while a big wave would knock him off the step and he would swim a circle and get back on, shake the water out of his ears, and give us a look like "W-T-F?" Damn I miss that cat. He was so much like a dog except that he took care of his own sht. I hear Siamese cats have the charm of dogs as well.

Carl the Cat

carlthecat:
Personally, I hum "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd but I change the lyrics to "Freefish"...

Love that southern rock. :59:

Back
Top Bottom