Hearing Concerns for Intermittent Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m00dawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am halfway through my SSI work and finished my pool and class work last weekend. I had a mild cold so took some Claratin and nasal spray which worked pretty well. I only had mild issues clearing my ears while doing pool work (down to 13 feet). But it got me to thinking about checking on any long term hearing effects of diving.

I know diving without a cold is a pretty obvious and learned reasons why during my pool training. Even medicated, it did have to descend slowly and carefully. Beyond this and not forcing ears to clear, is there any long term affects to hearing from recreational diving (I would estimate no more than 10 dives a year - probably less than 5).

I haven't found much concrete data on this - some inconclusive studies, but found some threads on this forum and thought I would just get opinions? Would intermittent (4-5 dives a year, maybe) to moderate diving be an issue for someone who is sensitive to hearing loss (I'm an amateur musician)?

Kinda late in the game to ask since I've done half the training and have my starter gear but thought I would ask. We're going on a cruise and I really wanted to go diving during it. But if it's a big issue, I might opt to protect my hearing than run a big risk.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean by being sensitive to hearing loss. Do you have an ear condition or just worried about it? I'm no Dr., but can say that I've noticed no hearing problems after almost 250 dives from 8' to 130'. I'm a professional musician and not worried. 19 years teaching band would've killed my hearing long before I took up diving. I would of course recommend taking no medications/sprays while congested. You never know how they will wear off and give you a real problem (reverse block) when ascending. If you're too congested to descend comfortably, abort.

Just worried about it. Glad to know you haven't run into issues. From what I have read, there is an increased risk (statistically), but it's rather small. Agreed on refraining from diving. Here's hoping I don't have any congestion on our cruise...

Anyways thanks for the reassurance!

I didn't know there was an increased risk. Live & learn.

Hah, well it's from what I've read searching on the Internet, so adjust your Internet compass accordingly :) I don't think anything that I read was totally concrete. Sort of like cell phone radiation.

WHAT ? :D

sorry . . . I had to . . .

I have never heard of any long term hearing problems with any divers I personally know... except one couple who are both deaf.. tho they were deaf before their first dive ;-P

look at it this way; if you blow an eardrum, your underwater communication couldnt be better with fluid sign language :eyebrow:

AFIK, there's nothing physiologic that could cause hearing loss after normal, uneventful dives. Reports of diver hearing loss, especially in Navy and commercial divers, are often compounded by the fact that these divers are exposed to loud machinery noises topside. Of course certain diving injuries like inner ear DCS and perilymph fistula can cause permanent hearing loss.
Re decongestants: they can certainly be used safely while diving. I agree with TMHeimer in that divers need to be mindful of them wearing off during the dive, but I wouldn't agree with a blanket recommendation to completely refrain from their use.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for all the super helpful responses, everyone! This was the thing I was most apprehensive about in regards to diving so it's good to know that, as long as I'm clearing properly, I should be in good shape. Any advice on how to practice clearing out of the water?

I know diving without a cold is a pretty obvious and learned reasons why during my pool training. Even medicated, it did have to descend slowly and carefully. Beyond this and not forcing ears to clear, is there any long term affects to hearing from recreational diving (I would estimate no more than 10 dives a year - probably less than 5).Thoughts?

Hey dawg,

As regards SCUBA, permanent hearing loss has been regularly identified in commercial divers. The same is true for sports divers where there is a clear history of barotrauma or abuse of the ear during diving (e.g., overly vigorous and otherwise improper equalization), especially when given a severe event or repeated episodes. For the recreational/sports diver without such a history, the findings to date are not conclusive but not particularly worrisome, e.g., The absence of hearing loss in o... [Undersea Hyperb Med. 2006 Mar-Apr] - PubMed - NCBI and Does scuba diving cause hearing loss? [J Otolaryngol. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

A diver doing no more than 10 dives a year, and probably less than 5, who doesn't dive when congested, equalizes gently and effectively on both descent and ascent, and exercises appropriate ear hygiene has little to worry about.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom