Health Science PhD in Australia researching bubbles in divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Buzzacott

Registered
Reaction score
Tuition-funded Health Science PhD in Australia with $27k living allowance researching bubbles in divers

Interested? Please first check if you are eligible, here https://futurestudents.curtin.edu.au/research/apply/admission-criteria/

You should have a research-based Masters Degree (or an Honours Degree) in a health-related field with a research thesis or dissertation that was examined. By 'research-based Masters' I mean two years of full-time research and then having your thesis/dissertation examined. This is not the same as a one-year Masters Degree involving classes, followed by a small research project (e.g. a one-year MBA would not be eligible).

If you are eligible then the Curtin University Faculty of Health Sciences have announced ten PhD scholarships, covering tuition fees (as long as the candidate finishes on schedule), plus a living allowance (currently $27,596 per year, tax-free). There’s a catch – I will have to nominate a potential candidate and we will compete for one of these ten international scholarships. I do not have a scholarship to offer, yet, but if we are successful then the candidate will live in beautiful Perth, Western Australia for three years or so, reading everything that is known about bubbles in divers and measuring bubbles in recreational divers. The successful applicants will need to enrol before the end of this year.

Training will be given in recording bubbles, bio-statistics, and epidemiology. Applicants need not be qualified scuba divers. Under certain conditions scholarship recipients may also work part-time to top-up their income.

E-mail peter.buzzacott@curtin.edu.au for more details if interested, but please first consider 1) if you are eligible and 2) could you really move to Australia for three years.

Interested potential candidates need not apply to the university yet. The process now is for me to propose a potential candidate and a potential project, then we wait with fingers crossed to see if it is selected. The deadline for me to propose a project is in two weeks time, July 15th.

Well done Peter! Hope you get a good candidate.

Back
Top Bottom