Heads Up (Literally) at Langley Tire Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just PMd someone here and thought I'd post this here as I hadn't seen it mentioned:
On my last 2 dives at Langley Tire Reef on Whidbey Is. on Nov. 25th.

There was a "new" concrete dock that ran along the entire outside (East) marina wall over the Langley Tire Reef.

When my new buddy and I walked out on the marina walkway that looks about 15' down to the water, we were shocked to see it and wondered if we could even dive there now. It looked very intimidating and wondered about cables and other entanglements.

Anyway, it turned out not to be a problem. Lots of overhead clearance the usual
20' to 40' but be aware that it's an overhead environment now over much of the reef.
We didn't see any entanglement issues although they may be some that we missed.
The good news is that entanglement via monofilament fishing line will be reduced due to the need for fishers to cast further out over the new dock. It's not very wide, only roughly 10' (?) but it's a lot darker under there near dusk now. Definitely bring a back up light even if your buddy has one.

There is a question as to whether this dock will stay there indefinitely or be moved
later. The port, Feds, town and State are all in the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing yet, mode:shakehead: Most of the officials and surveyors I've met there with clip boards in hand don't even realize that this is a commonly used dive site by shops and individuals!

If anyone has dived there since Nov. 25 and the dock has been moved, please post an update here? Thanks. This was my favorite solo diving site where I'd do trim adjustments, try out new gear, practice drills,etc. but don't know if I'd go under that dock solo now...guess I'll probably confine those to the N. wall...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom